_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Dictionary
mossieramm
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
entire network: 253 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 01:39 PM UTC
Hi, being as that there are many nationalities on this website, I’ll ask here.
Sometimes you get advice on a certain product, and it is difficult to get the correct equivalent in another country, like what is Lacquer thinner in Dutch for instance??
So I was wondering is there a dictionary, or something like it ??
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 03:12 PM UTC
Hi Mossie,

Any good old paper dictionary will tell you that "Lacquer" = "Lak, Vernis" and thinner, well is "thinner" or "Verdunner". So roughly translated is means "Lak Verdunner". Now you won't find that on any bottles, but it depends what it is used for. "Lak Verdunner" is normally acetone, but that's normaly not used to thin modelling paints, so I'm pretty sure its will be "synthetische verdunner".

But you're right some sort of "technical modelling dictionary" would sometimes be nice.

Kris
powerlogik
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 04:10 PM UTC
http://www.yourdictionary.com/ Not sure if this is of any use but it can translate from language to language.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 12:57 AM UTC
What? You aren't carrying around your trusty "Star Trek" universal Language device??!! #:-)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 10:45 AM UTC
I need a dictionary just to translate English, Austrailian, New Zealand, and American..........
I have to be 100% honest .... I really envy prople who speak two or more languages.

straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 09:25 PM UTC
The main thing is always try it out on a scrap piece of plastic first, when trying anything new. I just heard a horror story the other day, where a guy got the item, the other was using from another country, and tried it on his model, well he came back the next morning to find all the other paint on his model desolved, and he would haft to take it all back to bare plastic to start over.

He didn't know what went wrong he bought the same thing he was told, so he contacted the manufacturer, and they told him it came in 3 different strengths, which neither of them knew of.

The first one always bought the only one they had, so that was all he thought they had, and the other being from another country, they might use it for a different purpose, so they had a different container out, and he didn't know there was a difference.

Now it all came to the color of the container to which strength you would get, then he found out that from then on he had to order the mild, now I forget the colors, or who it was, but it was just on one of the post not long ago.

Now somethings keep the same name, then others have a different name for the same thing, it will be a hard game to figure out, you will just haft to keep asking like all the others did, and I did.

When I found out something, I wrote it down on the container. Like on my can of mineral spirits, it is called white spirits over there, so I wrote that on the can also.

My container of rubbing alcohol, I got wrote on it for thinning acrylics, and things like that. I hope this was able to help you some.

Kerry
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 4,342 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 09:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

"Lak Verdunner" is normally acetone, but that's normaly not used to thin modelling paints, so I'm pretty sure its will be "synthetische verdunner".

Lacquer thinner is also known as cellulose thinner or nitrocellulose thinner. In Poland it is generally known as "nitro".

Pawel
 _GOTOTOP