History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Quotables from George 9/20/04
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 08:48 PM UTC
"The man who finds twenty dollars on the street or wins it at the slot machine thinks lightly of it, and before long it is lightly spent...The same man who works and sweats for half a week for that same amount respects it and grudgingly parts with it when he has won it.. So with patriotism. The light feelings of love and reverence for our country engendered by shouting for the flag on the 4th of July are too haphazard, too cheap.. The man who has served a year with sweat and discomfort feels that truly he has a part in his country, and the truth is he has, and HE is a patriot."

"At the close of this war, I will remove my insignia and wrist watch. I will continue to wear my short coat so that everyone can kiss my a**!"

"We can never get anything across unless we talk the language of the people that we are trying to instruct..Perhaps that is why I curse!"

"I have always talked blood and murder and am looked on as an advocate of close up fighting. I could never look myself in the face if I were a staff officer and comparatively safe."

" I told Papa of my fear of cowardice and he said that while ages of gentility might make a man of my breeding reluctant to engage in a fistfight, the same breeding made me perfectly willing to face death from weapons with a smile...I think that is true."

Thanks for reading,
Gunny