_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Scratchbuilding an Engine
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 08:04 PM UTC
Hi! I'm faced with a dilenma here. I tried opening up the engine hatch of my M4A3 and now I'm having problems making one.

Ok, how do you scratchbuilt an engine (even it's not a Shermies engine, it's ok. I just want to know the basic steps )

Thanks!
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 11:00 PM UTC
Well, it means you will need to learn to carve. Plastic, wood, resin, or something else, will be needed to carve it out of. I would use ren-shape, as has been discussed in previous topics, do a google within this forum. I would suggest getting as much reference material as posible. Then cut, carve or cast the major pieces of it and assemble them together. If you think you have done a really good job, then use the pieces as a master and create molds of them and sell them for hundreds of dollars (yeah right ) to Verlinden so he can screw them up for everyone else.

Then you just add details.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 11:09 PM UTC
First thing to do is look for some referances. Apparently, you can still get to AFV Interiors through the back door. M4A3

Found these on a Google search.

The easiest way is to start with an engine from a model car or a Tamiya or Academy M113 engine. Then modify it to look like the Ford GAA used in the M4A3.

If you can'y get your hands on anything to start with, an engine is basically a series of boxes. Start with a rectangle for the main block. Put a rectangle on either side of that at a 45 degree angle to make the V for the block and the heads. Next build the valve covers on the heads, then the intake manifold on top of the block. Then the exhaust manifolds on the sides of the heads. the front of the engine has pulleys and belts to run the various accessories, etc. It is not that difficult. Give it a shot. You will fing you can make a convincing engine pretty easily if you know how an engine goes together. I scratched mine for my DUKW. Here is how it turned out. ( A straight six as opposed to a V, but you get the idea.)

I have also done the same with a HMMWV engine using the Tamiya M113 engine as a starting point, both V8's. I'm currently planning to convert a Marder1A2 engine nto a Bradley engine too.
Good luck.
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
entire network: 705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 11:20 PM UTC
I would say that you need some kind of base to work from and put all the details on and then you need tons of photos. Scratchbuilding engines is different and more difficult because it has such unique and small drtails.

As you can see, this is not a scratchbuild engine, but I added a lot of stuff to it and reshaped some of the shapes. Also, you can take advantage of car parts, the generator (in pic 3) is made out of an old 1/24 car engine part. If there is even the most incorrect Sherman engine out there, I would buy it and correct it from photos, much easier than totally scratchbuilding.

Hope this is of any help for you
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 03:28 AM UTC
I have just done a Ford V8 flathead from scratch. I used photos and diagrams and made it by layering strips of evergreen plastic sheet togeather a little oversize. Then I filed and scraped it to the correct shape.

Doing the same with a rear axle at the moment.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 02:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have just done a Ford V8 flathead from scratch. I used photos and diagrams and made it by layering strips of evergreen plastic sheet togeather a little oversize. Then I filed and scraped it to the correct shape.

Doing the same with a rear axle at the moment.

Can you give me some of your ref pics?
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 04:08 PM UTC
Ralph I have just PM'ed you. I am happy to share the reference material I have.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 04:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ralph I have just PM'ed you. I am happy to share the reference material I have.

Got your PM. Thank you sir!
 _GOTOTOP