_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
AMT quality
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2004 - 06:42 PM UTC
I don't know if AMT makes any AFV's, but if they do I would wonder if the quality is like this Kenworth, that I got a job building for my neighbor, that he bought off e-bay.

He thought he could handle it sense it was supposed to be a snap together BJ and the Bear, but when he got it, there was 2 in there, of different years. A lot of parts were broken, now that isn't AMT's fault, for the broken parts, but needless to say the tires have no sidewalls on the inside on the newer one, and the pieces that were left to put together would have such big gaps in them, and most of the pieces are only molded half way, just like the tires on the newer one.

Now Italeri might only do the bottom half of the engine cause it is under the truck where nobody can see, but AMT done it to the exhaust stacks up where everybody can see, and the big mold lines on the chrome pieces they just might as well not even put chrome on them, they look so ugly.

Well I got out the clippers, and the glue, and putty, and paint, and with a lot of work, I'll have a nice looking Kenworth

Kerry
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2004 - 08:14 PM UTC
I have an AMT 1941 stock Woody Ford and it's quality is very good.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2004 - 08:18 PM UTC
You are putting your 2004 standards to a kit that was made in the 1970s. I remember the AMT BJ & the Bear series kits. I had the 1/25 scale tractor trailer combo way back then. A lot can happen to the plastic over the course of about 30 years.

Many of AMT's current kits are pretty good. Their car kits still hold up well to today's standards.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2004 - 11:47 PM UTC
This is why I've always admired the folks who do cars.
Some of the kits are bad, plus, the paint job is a real challange. I prefer building a subject that you can cover with mud, rust, battle damage and tarps if things go wrong.

Chuck
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 01:28 AM UTC
I have build a few AMT modelcars. They were not up to Revell-Monogram standard. They needed a lot more work and fiting was not top nutch. AMT make a lot of US cars from the 50's, 60's and 70's and if your in to muscle cars and classic Detroit iron, AMT has a lot to offer. The ones i build might have been old kits, they might have needed some extra work, but still they are nice kits.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 04:53 PM UTC
That is what it is, I was spoiled by the more recent standards, I had forgot BJ and the bear was some time ago. Only one had a oilpan plug, I was thinking it would take just a week to cut all the bolt heads to put on the frame sides, now the body they did do a good job on all the pop rivets, they are nice and clear.

The bad part is to what my neighbor thought was good was there was 2 trucks, well I got to going through the parts, and there is some parts for the BJ truck, and there is parts for the other, then there is parts for a mysterious truck, that fit neither.

Well them extra things were like, west coast mirrors which lead us to believe we had mirrors that fit one of the trucks we had, but they don't even come close, so this is going to be a while, either trying to modify so they will fit,or start from the beginning.

I think I done what everybody else would of done when he brought it over to see if I could put it together, you take a quick scan to see if all the parts are there, but you don't see if they fit, you'd never think they would slip in other parts that looks like it.

Well anyway I already told him that the finish date is going to be moved back, and I like the challenge anyway. The good thing, I should know how to make west coast mirrors after this.

Thank you guys for reminding me about expecting todays standards, out of yesterdays models.
I just wasn't thinking

Best Regards Kerry
 _GOTOTOP