_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Tools or Models Question
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2004 - 08:21 AM UTC
I came into alittle money, and I am in a little dilema on what to get.

1;Should I buy this; I don't have alot of tools just the basics, but there are some tools that would make life a litle easier.

2: Should I buy kits for my stash.

3: I can buy tools and kits.
a, what tools would you buy and why
b, buy some painting tools.
c, little things for work bench to be more organized.

Happy Modeling
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2004 - 08:38 AM UTC
how many kits you have now? i'd say buy some painting supplies and work on the kits you already have. dont know of anytools you might wanna buy, maybe a sprue cutter.....
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2004 - 09:05 AM UTC
First I'd get what ever tool or supply you felt you needed during your last build. If I had some money left over, I'd either buy one good kit you've been eyeing, or several clearance kits that are a good deal. Depending on how much money you had left.
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2004 - 11:09 AM UTC
I have about 20-30 kits, there's a PE etch mate to bend PE, airbrush cleaning station, kits that would be a good kit I would say the Hobby Fan M-911 8X6 25 Ton CHET HF-006 Talbert Trailer for 911 Tractor. I have eyed it for some time now.

I have about $500-600 to spend so I don't know yet. I am just getting a feel for options.I need the airbrush cleaning station that is the only thing stopping me from finishing some kits because I hate cleaning my airbrush.

Happy Modeling
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2004 - 11:36 AM UTC
What kind of airbrush do you have???

I have never seen the need for an AB cleaning station as most ABs are fairly easy to break down and clean.

I have 3 ABs that I use regularly, a Badger 350, Badger 200 and an Aztec 4709, and although I predominantly use acrylics, I have never had a problem cleaning my AB, and just found the cleaning stations an item I can live with out.

However, if you must have one....do a search on your favorite modelling sites for articles on how to make your own. Rather than spending $60 or $70 on a cleaning station, spend $5 and make one, and use the other money on tools and kits.

If its the Aztec station you are looking at, all it really is, is a container with a filter. The paint goes through the filter to keep the smell down. You can build one for next to nothing. And have seen articles on how to make it....if I can find it, I will post a link to it here.

PS: No matter what what airbrush you have, a cleaning station will most likely not clean your AB entirely anyway, basically all you are doing is flushing thinner through the AB cleaning as it goes....but paint still gets left in some areas that can only be cleaned by taking the AB apart.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2004 - 02:37 PM UTC
Tom you left the door wide open, now if it was me, there is always kits that need an extra dressing. Plastruct makes hex rod in all differnt sizes to cut to make bolt heads, Micro-Mark sells a heavy duty chopper 2 so you can cut them straight, then they got specialty items, like brushes, or sanding tools, like that Flex-I-File, that is a must if you don't already have it.

A Deluxe Pin Vise and drill bits, if you ever get into any your own grab handles on tanks, and steps to drill the hole for the wire. Then go to the home page and look under supplies Alpine Imports has 4 different colored self healing cutting mats with a 10% discount to people from Armorama of all different sizes.
Hope this was able to help you some

Kerry
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2004 - 02:38 PM UTC

Just take a look at what kits you would like and what you would like to use to help build them be it PE, tools, new decals/transfers and such.
Personally, I'd split the money between kits and tools. Since I have more tools than kits, I'd get the kits and spend not as much on the tools, though there are a few things that I really would love to get.
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2004 - 09:37 PM UTC
If you don't already have them, consider these:
Lighted inspection magnifier
Flex shaft for your Dremel (or whatever hand tool you use).
Hot knife
Hot glue gun
Optivisor
Also, you could just browse Micro Mark's web site to see if something jumps out at you. As for the kits, it sounds like you've got enough to keep you busy till you find a really good sale, so I'd put something aside for that.

Art
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2004 - 10:18 PM UTC
I'd go with tools.. some of the Nice to have kind of things.. I saved up and got myself some things I dont' really need but the are fun to use and Nice to have..

you can always save up for that next model while building a kit out of your stash..

unless you are wanting one of those 1/16 scale models then i'd go with that.

Nice to have stuff.

Ott Light either desktop or freestanding - True color lighting for best paint matching and best lighting to work under.. just like bright daylight.

Micro-Mark Resin casting kit for when u want to make extra's of one kits parts for use in other kits.

Some type of airbrush compressor and airbrush set up for those perfect paint jobs.. nothing beats the airbrush.

A large selection of your favorite brand of paints.. Nothing is better than haveing the color you need when u need it..

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2004 - 11:18 PM UTC
Tools Tools Tools
I'd buy an airbrush and air compressor with 5gallon tank. That's 1st on the list. That'll run you about $200 - $250 right there.
Go to Michaels and get the air brush with one of thier weekly 40% off one reg. priced items.
Go to Walmart or target and get the compressor to about $80-100
Get a kick but rotary tool with a cable adapter for the bits (one of those long things that let you leave the tool hanging and you just hold a smaller pencil type thingie), this run about $100
The get all the special deal tools that you WILL use more than one time. Personally I wouldn't spend money on stuff you wont use regularly.
Organizers are cheap - head to WalMart and look through the tool section and the craft section maybe even the sporting goods.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 03:46 AM UTC
A rototool for sure. I would also look into getting that reference material that always just seems to be too expensive. Also, a punch set would be nice.
capnjock
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 06:32 AM UTC
buy me a kit!

_GOTOTOP