Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Battle of Arnhem 60th Anniversary
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 09:16 PM UTC
For those interested in Arnhem 1944 the below link is to the site of a Dutch newspaper in Arnhem. Today is the 60th anniversary of the battle of Arnhem, and as always there has been an enormous commemeration for the occasion. The Battle of Arnhem and the sacrefice the Paratroopers made for the Dutch peoples freedom is still vividly remembered in Arnhem, Oosterbeek and the little villages around them which were so badly damaged during the failed attempt. The people have always extended the warmest welcome to the veterans, and this year was no exeption, apart from the fact that I believe that enough money was collected to enable the remaining veterans to atend this year for free (i.e. their expenses were paid for) The pages are(ofcourse) in Dutch, but the picture speak for them selfs.
as the motto goes

Lest we forget.

Henk
http://www.gelderlander.nl/regioportal/GLD/1,1478,12934-Airborne-Fotoalbums!Regio!,00.html
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 09:19 PM UTC
One more thing, for the next pages you should click on the "Volgende rubriek:" link at the right underneed the pictures

Henk
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 05:30 PM UTC
Thanks for the Link, Henk...

Wish I could read Dutch...Great pictures, am always on the lookout for more History...Arnhem was a bloody battle, Check out the cover story in last month's WWll magazine(if you haven't already) detailing Arnhem's Battle...Good stuff...

Sincerely,
Gunny
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 324 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 10:11 AM UTC
While I was enlisted in the Dutch army, I had the privilege to be a part of the 50 years rememberance in 1984.

To me, this was one of many special events I had during my army service. (yes, I had more )

We shouldn't forget the brave people who were willing to sacrifice their lives for the freedom of Europe.
thunderbolt
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 150 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 02:42 AM UTC
hej Richard
check out the campaing, VE-DAY

valle