_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
decal printing
Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 437 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 12:37 AM UTC
Hi all,

I was at the LHS earlier this week and noticed a package of transparent decal printer stock. It looks like you can design your own decals, print them onto this paper using an inkjet printer and apply them as you would any decal. If it works I could see a real benefit to being able to custom design (font/color/shape) numbers and other markings.
Has anybody ever used this? is it any good?

thanks,
Frag
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 02:07 AM UTC
I do it all the time. Make sure you get the paper for ink-jet printers. They make a different paper for laser jet printers. They are not interchangeable either. It is really simple. All you do is design what you want and print it onto the paper. Next coat the paper with an acrylic spray sealer, I use Krylon Krystal Clear. Let dry and cut them out and apply like any other water slide decal. I have found out that if you are planning on putting a light decal over a dark paint color, you may have to print it on white decal paper with the surrounding area the same as the paint color. This gives you enough opaqueness so the decal does not disappear against the dark background. Also, if you have white on your design, it will not print on your decala since standard printers don't print white (the paper is already white, no need to). To get white on your decal, you have to use white decal paper as well.

Give it a try, it works out great. Gives you all sorts of new options for decals too. Hope you like it, I love it. Good luck.
Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 437 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 02:35 AM UTC
Hey Gino,

Thanks, I'm looking forward to trying it out!
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2004 - 06:59 AM UTC
I had to make my own insignia for my Kelley's Heroes dio. Worked fine. Since most printers don't print white color, there is clear and white ink-jet decal paper available, like from Micro-Mark.

Sealhead
 _GOTOTOP