Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
book collection
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 05:52 AM UTC
how many military/ modeling books do you have in your library?

me, HUNDREDS UPON HUNDREDS UPON HUNDREDS i had to build extra bookshelves in my living room, my bedroom, and am building more.....most is military books, my grandfather just gave me about 100-200 more, phew i've got some reading to do....back later
Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 437 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 07:12 AM UTC
I've got about 1/2 dozen modeling books and about 50 non-fiction military books primarily WWII but some Vietnam and Iraq too (no Korea though).

In addition to that my father-in-law just gave me about 20 bound volumes of the Chicago Daily Tribune and Wall Street Journal newspapers from parts of 1943 thru 1944. It is very interesting reading about domestic life during the war and how the war was being reported back home. Quite a bit different than our present day embedded journalism.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 07:15 AM UTC
Hi, Like you, mine goes into the hundreds as well. Been collecting them ever since I was in high school way back when the world was young and you could buy big thick paperbacks for $.98 each. And have never gotten rid of one either. I have 3 big books shelves that take up one whole wall of our 'library' (old dinning room), that are each 7 feet tall baically stacked to overflowing. Plus a whole large cupboard out in the garage that I keep some of the older books and all my modeling books and articles I've collected down over the years.

Most of my books are on World War II, the American Civil War and Native American history.

Take care, Sgirty
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 01:02 PM UTC
I have the Encyclopeadia Brittanica, WWII Encyclopedias. About fifty books that are so chock full of photos, maps, color line drawings of Allied and Axis power Tanks and Vehicles,and a whole book each on "german flags, rank insignia, uniforms etc." and "allied markings, including nose art and tail markings.".

My mom got them for me LONG before I started armor modeling (or military modeling of any kind). I also got the Micropeadia and Macropeadia and since I was a kid at the time I got them ('81, '82, '83), they are one of the last BIG name encyclopedias printed just before the fall of communism.

Thanks, Mom!
Cuhail
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 01:49 PM UTC
Having been modelling for almost 4 years now I have amassed 6 modelling books and 7 reference books. With a few other bits and bobs collected the top shelf on my library bookcase is almost overflowing! :-) :-) :-) :-)
I have about 200 books in total.... most of them are Irish hirstory (90% non-fiction) and a few rocker biographys.
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 02:11 PM UTC
I have several hunderd of books, amongst which almost all Ospreys related to WW1 and 2 (till somewhere in Fevruari , when the funding became a problem) Next to that a couple 'bout wingthingies, modern army (my old divisional history, SA army stuff, etc) en a load of books bout ww1 and ww2. It alsways pays off to be friends with a book seller, doesn't it?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 03:15 PM UTC
Most of my library is fiction - a large part of it is Historical, Sharpe (all of them) Hornblower all of them (in various languages) and a collection of first editions (very obsessional!)

Non-fiction... Around 100 Osprey titles, several dozen of the old Aircam series, a mountain of the old profile publications
several of the old Men-At-Arms series, quite a number of the wartime HMSO publications and various one- offs such as Military biographies and of course all of Shelby Foote's books...Too damn many but I'd never part with them...Jim
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 05:25 PM UTC
As for me, ive got a few hundred modelling mags, a couple or osprey and squadron books ( military related not modelling) and a fair few military books, mainly vietnam and WW2.
cheers