_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
balsa wood$
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 05:47 AM UTC
is it me or has the price of balsa wood gone up, i remember when i was a kid, i bought this stuff to make small things, and it was dirt cheap, almost given away, go to the model store today and it was more than i thought? just me?
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 05:56 AM UTC
Hi shain i have noticed its gone up a bit here in the u.k. from a couple of years ago
it now cost £ instead of P
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 07:08 PM UTC
It has gone up a some, not a whole lot though.
i know that at places like Michaels and AC Moore you have to be carefull that you make the distinction between Bass Wood and Balsa Wood. Bass wood is a harder version of Balsa and it does cost more than Balsa.
Those stores don't spend much time in putting the right product on the right shelf, so you end up with bass wood in the balsa section and vice versa.

I have found that my local Train store has both and sells it cheaper. Just need to shop around abit.
steeldog51
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 08:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It has gone up a some, not a whole lot though.
i know that at places like Michaels and AC Moore you have to be carefull that you make the distinction between Bass Wood and Balsa Wood. Bass wood is a harder version of Balsa and it does cost more than Balsa.
Those stores don't spend much time in putting the right product on the right shelf, so you end up with bass wood in the balsa section and vice versa.

I have found that my local Train store has both and sells it cheaper. Just need to shop around abit.

Awww you guys in the states have tons of stuff at your finger tips! not fair! LOL
i have one hobby shop where i live, i dont have a credit card and i dont have a car ,
so i have to make do with what he has in stock which is virtually nothing! and expensive too as the rates in my town are astronomical!so he has overheads to think about also
but his balsa i almost £2.50 a strip for the thin stuff!
i remember when it was 25p
oh well you cant escape inflation and all that , in fact i too have been inflating of late!
:-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 09:07 PM UTC
Yikes steeldog - that price hurts. Mad I'd be scrounging everywhere and treating the stuff I did get like gold
steeldog51
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 09:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yikes steeldog - that price hurts. Mad I'd be scrounging everywhere and treating the stuff I did get like gold

Yeah i often do scott!
i try to use the trusy plasticard where possible and just scribe in a wood texture
but balsa is about the only thing thats workable for some things ,
whodini
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 359 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2004 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bass wood is a harder version of Balsa and it does cost more than Balsa

Balsa is acctually harder AND heavier(very noticeably, 3 years of glider building, still building now )
In canada the balsa wood varies, Contest balsa(soft, light, awesome!) is about $1.50 for a 3' x 4" x 1/32" size sheet(very thin!)
For The same size sheet but in a little harder and heavier piece of balsa is about $3.00!

Robert
Shinano
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 10:19 PM UTC
I think the cost of Balsa has gone up Around her the average for 1/32X4"X3' is 3:50$ Can , but if you need it what are we going to do? I use it for tons of modeling projects.
 _GOTOTOP