_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Future Floor Finish
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 110 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 03:24 AM UTC
Hi

I finished painting my figures with Tamiya acrylics. When i went to apply Testors clear coat I realized that it attacked the acrylic paint and removed it. Therefore I went out and purchased some Future Floor wax. Now what I want to do is apply a gloss coat with Future then do a wash followed by a an application of a Testors dull coat, followed by drybrushing.

But heres my question: since future wax is also acrylic based, will my Testors dull coat lacquer attack it and eat through it , like it did to the Tamiya acrylic paint ? ? ?

BTW: I use a brush for everything as I dont have an airbrush yet. If this matters ...

Thank you
Leader
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 03:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I finished painting my figures with Tamiya acrylics. When i went to apply Testors clear coat I realized that it attacked the acrylic paint and removed it.
Leader

I have used the Testors clear and flat over my Tamiya paints for a long time with no problems. So, I'm curious as to what happened to you.

How long did the Tamiya paint dry before the claer coat? Did you thin the clear coat with anything?

Steve
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 06:07 AM UTC
The Tamiya paint had a whole week to dry, and no I didnt thin the clear coat with anything. Could it be because i brushed it on ?
Bribo
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 07:27 AM UTC
I had a simialr problem, in that I used tamiya acrylics to paint, followed by testor's acryl gloss clear. I let that cure fro about a week, them when I went to do my wash with enamels and mineral spirits, the wash lifted everything up, right down to the plastic. Has anyone else seen problems suchj as these? And did you find a solution?
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 07:48 AM UTC
I would guess that it is the brush painting that is the biggest culprit here. I can only suggest that you use a very gentle touch, almost letting the Future 'flow' onto the figure from the brush. Hope this makes sense.

Rick Cooper
sfilak
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 45 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 05:47 AM UTC
I agree that the hand brushing may be the problem here. Another thing that you might want to try is to get a spray can of Dullcote. Hold it a good distance away from the figure, and mist it on in very light coats. Dullcote, when brushed on, can produce some very undesirable results, such as having the entire figure develop a white frost. (don't ask me how I know this.....;-))

HTH-
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 498 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 09:54 AM UTC
I don't know if this helps, but did you wash the figure before painting? I always wash a kit in warm soapy water before I do any work to take the mold release agent off. I then primer with enamel before painting acrylics. Let it dry thouroughly before the coat of future. HTH
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 11:24 AM UTC
Yes I washed the figure and then primed it with Grey Testors primer.

drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 12:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I always wash a kit in warm soapy water before I do any work to take the mold release agent off.

I am sure this is a given, but make sure you rinse the soap off also. I would suggest you put the clear coats on as thin as you possibly can. I have had trouble with testors clear coats and found that if I barely put any one, let it dry, and then repeat the process I get better results. In general I haven't liked testors clear coats except for the acrylic kind or it was in spray can form like someone above mentioned. Good luck
 _GOTOTOP