History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
George Custer and the Table
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 02:04 PM UTC
A short time ago in another post I wrote of George Custer and the table upon which Grant and Lee signed the instrument of surrender. I related that Phil Sheridan paid $20 gold for the table and after penning a brief note gave it to Custer.

Someone wrote back that this was a fable.

I have found a reference for this in the book,
Custer Victorious, by Gregory J.W. Urwin. University of Nebraska Press, 1983.

I call your attention to pages 256-257, I quote:

"After the two commanders took their leave and returned to their dutioes, souvenier-hunting officers flooded Wilmer McClean's parlor. Sheridan threw down twenty dollars in gold for the small pine table on which the surrender document had been written. He handed it to his boy Custer, as a gift for his wife and sent Libbie the following note, which she was to treasure for the rest of her life:

Appomattox Court House
April 10th, 1865

My Dear Madam
I respectfully present to you the small writing table on which the conditions for the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia were written by Lt. General Grant - and permit me to say, Madam, that there is scarcely an individual in our service who has contributed more to bring about this desirable result than your gallant husband.

Very respectfully,
Phil H. Sheridan
Maj General

Delighted, Custer counded down the steps of the front proch, holding it on his shoulder, mounted his hourse and galloped off, balancing the bouncing table on his head."

So this is the second reference to Custer and the table I have read or heard. Does anyone have another account?

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 10:47 PM UTC
Well, I was the guy who said the entire tale is a fable. This is based on visiting Appomatox and listening to the Park Rangers separate fact from fiction. Regardless, where is this table now?
DJ
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 11:30 PM UTC
DJ,

The table is at the Smithsonian.

Shaun

Linkage:

http://www.civilwar.si.edu/appomattox_furniture.html
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 11:40 PM UTC
DJ...
I think a Park Ranger owes you an apology for handing out some misinformation...Maybe he(or She)should become a part of this History Forum!!!

Sincerely,
Gunny :-)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 - 12:37 AM UTC
Obviously, seeing the table certainly contradicts what I recollect from the visit. I appreciate you digging up the correct information. If you ever get the chance, try to visit Appomatix. I am in Northern Virginia and we took a weekend to see Petersburg then drive across to Appomatix. Long drive, but well-wroth the effort. The village is preserved just as it looked in 1865. One other observation, If someone passes on some bad poop--continue to be just as open minded in correcting the unfortunate lad--- just think about poor Dan Rather and how silly he now looks. He needs a hug too.
thanks
DJ
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 - 01:23 AM UTC
DJ,

I took a swing back east and hit Aberdeen and Antietam. Have been to Gettysburg several times. I would like to go back and hit Appomattox. I did not know it was that well preserved. Before long, urban sprawl is going to swallow up a lot of these sites. A bunch are gone already.
As an aside, I don't think Dan is being nearly as gracious as you are. I think he needs to resign...

Shaun
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 - 01:23 AM UTC
Tee-Hee...
Well put and duly noted DJ!

Gunny :-)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 - 01:55 AM UTC
I trust I am not letting my political leanings temper the discussion. As I drop for twenty-five at having failed to correctly spell "Appomattox" I feel for good old honest Dan.
DJ
GSPatton
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 - 04:07 AM UTC
Gentlemen - Thank you Shaun for the web site and DJ for admitting the error. Now if America could get CBS ...
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 - 07:47 PM UTC
Frank -- that is an interesting point...."How do we monitor the press for accuracy?" Case in pint, the documents that CBS produced to accuse the President of lying about his service in the Texas Air National Guard. How does one go about correcting that error?
DJ
GSPatton
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 02:09 AM UTC
You do it by admitting the error and taking the consequences - like quitting. Rather wants it both ways - he wants to continue putting doubt in the minds of the uninformed while dragging out "experts" who hem and haw - Dispickable.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 07:02 PM UTC
Frank-- this morning's line from good old "never a hair out of place" Dan Rather is that the press should not concentrate on the source but rather the story (?????) This is as whacky as his production on Vietnam "The Wall Within." In this production, Rather gathered a group of "Vietnam Vets" to cry their little eyes out over the atrocities they committed while in Vietnam. Took a true patriot BG Burkette to show in his book Stolen Valor that the clowns Rather iinterviewed either were never in Vietnam or were clerks who never saw anything tougher than waking up in the morning. This latest trouble is just part of a pattern of behavior by the media to change from neutral processors of information to partisan advocates. Imagine if anyone in the current administration had done anything like this one. The press would be on them and stay with them like stink on doggie -pooh. Watch this to be buried rather quickly. The press does not like people thinking.
DJ