_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Airbrush Question
lopper99
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 21 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 10:06 AM UTC
I fielded a question similar to this last week and I thank all of you for the advice about which compressor and airbrush I should purchase. I stated that I want the capability to do mottled camo finish on 1/48 German WWII aircraft (I think that would be considered very fine work), and a $150 dollar limit on the airbrush and compressor. Well... I've raised my $ limit to $200 since the previous post and I would love to field the question one more time. Taking my new dollar limit into consideration.

1. Please tell me what you use...Comp and Airbrush and...
2. If you were to go thru the purchase over again ..what would you buy ?
3. Wher should I buy mine?

Again, strongly oppinionated answers are appreciated the most.
I've never airbrushed before but I'm pretty crafty with such things and hope to avoid going thru a series of airbrushes till I get the right one. I'd rather pay up-front. THANKS .
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 06:42 PM UTC
HI

My airbrush is a double action aztek 430. It is my first brush and I love it. I reccomend it to any. I also have a compressor I bought at canadian tire which has a two hp motor and a moisture trap. It is similar to one that sears makes and one that is at walmart. IT works great. Has a two gallon tank on it so there is lots of air to use. Never run out brushin.

Hasty
Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 437 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:35 PM UTC
I have a Campbell Hausfeld compressor. It has a 2 gallon tank and a 1/2 hp motor with a moisture trap and pressure regulator. I picked it up, new on ebay for about $90 last year. I have 2 airbrushes a Paasche VLS and an Aztek A470. Both are bouble action. I bought the Paasche first but haven't used it since I got the Aztek. The Aztek gives me better fine line control and is much easier to clean and change nozzles. I also bought the Aztek on Ebay, used, for about $60.
Good luck!
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:52 PM UTC
I use a Paasche VL double action brush. It had a retail price of $104.99 but I got it for $50. I'm happy with it.

My compressor is a Testors AC200 that has a built in moisture trap. It cost $169.99. Both work just fine for me.
 _GOTOTOP