TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Sky Captain....Da da da da!
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:36 AM UTC
This surprisingly sounds kind of neat. You know, a time before alien invasions didn't involve beheadings, gutting, dis-emboweling, etc. I heard it's based on a 1930's cartoon that was on the back of a cereal box. Grumpyoldman, did you read it? I kid, I kid....Thanks for your time.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 11:05 AM UTC
I believe it's more based on the computer game Crimson Skies of a couple years ago. I haven't seen any references to anything more historic than that.
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 902 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 11:13 AM UTC
I agree with you Al, everything I have seen and heard about the movie makes me think of Crimson Skies. I even think the movie is set in the "Future" as it were.
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 - 02:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Grumpyoldman, did you read it?

No, he was too old and too grumpy to be reading the back of cereal boxes back then. :-)
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 08:05 AM UTC
looks different, its got angelina jolie in it, shes always done a pretty good job of acting, or is it just because shes an eye magnet
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 1,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 12:47 PM UTC
Went and saw it today.
For children--don't see why not. No blood or gore, no sex or nudity (bad thing?), but lots of explosions and really cool air-to-air combat.

What might put the kiddies off is the movie's style. It is entirely filmed in soft focus, almost sepia, tones. And it starts off with a bang, slows a bit in the 2nd quarter, then picks up like a roller-coaster for the last half.

Did I like it? Yes. You have to go into the theater with an open mind and lots of imagination. I now know what it was like to see a movie the way my grandparents did. The whole picture's style, plot, effects (even though they are better done now) are all reminiscent of a 1930's serial action flick.

It is NOT set in the future. It all takes place in the late 30's(?) Connections to Crimson Skies? There was only 4 different types of aircraft, and only two of them were 'futuristic.'

Again--did I like it. Yup. Will I buy it when it comes out on DVD. Probably not. I may however, since it is such a unique look back on a different era.
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 513 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2004 - 01:56 AM UTC
I've seen it too. I really enjoyed the flying stuff. It is filmed in a rather tongue in cheek style. Very 1940s and has a strong resemblance to the old Flash Gordon programme. Great fun, although a bit shallow.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2004 - 03:33 PM UTC
Have to agree with the old 40's - 50's serial feel. Not a bad flic and perfectly fine for kids. Took my 10 year old nephew to it and he did all right with it.