Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Model paint, 320 US dollers per gallon!
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 11:36 PM UTC
Paint rant! I know there is nothing we can do about it, but still it bothers me. I use Model masters enamel in the 1/2 oz bottles. At $2.50 per bottle, that makes the cost $320.00 per gallon! Kind of makes one feel like they have you over a barrel. For the young modelers this gets very exspensive! (same for us poor folks) If the youngster went and bought a $35.00 tank kit, then had to buy 6 colors of paint to finish it, that would add on $15.00 to the kit price. Totaling $50.00 to build the model. Not many young modelers can afford that! Like I said, there is very little we as modelers can do about the high cost of model paint, but we dont have to like it!
Rant over.
Just my 2 clams worth!

Cheers,

Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 12:22 AM UTC
Garry, you're exactly right, and that's why I often use the cheap paint you can get in crafts stores like Hobby Lobby or at Wal-Mart. My theory is acrylic is acrylic, it's the color that counts and that you can mix yourself. I buy the Apple Barrel or Plaid stuff they have at those places, for about .98 cents or less for a 2 oz bottle. Four times as much paint for well less than half as much. That cuts it down to about $62 USD per US gallon. Still a heck of a lot more than the $25 bucks I pay for the paint we've been painting our house with, but more reasonable.

Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 02:08 AM UTC
I need a few Quid for my holiday gary I think I will put my paint box on Ebay :-) Serious i must agree put modelling in its title and double the price,i use those craft store acrylics but I find they dont stick to well on plastic but they are excellent for ground work or buildings,I was looking at some dentists tools in a model shop the other day £5 for four I went to a pound shop and found the same for £2.00, some one said you dont get the same quality, Hey im scaping filler or plastic not someones teeth. :-)