History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
American Civil War book
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 06:25 PM UTC
Hi, Am just finishing up a book I've had for some time and just lately decided to get it out and read it. It's called Gettysburg: July I, by David G. Martin.

Very good. As the title suggests it just covers just the first day of this 3-day battle in a little Penn. town back in the summer of 1863 fought between the Army of Northern Virginia and the Army of the Potomac that turned into one of the pivotal battles of this conflict.

It has lots of very good first person accounts throughout the book from the recollections and personal writings of those who particpated in this battle on both sides, which to me gives a book written on any historical event that 'human' element to it and makes it so much more interesting to read.

And even though it gets down into the regimental and brigade levels of the battle, it provides some excellent maps that the reader can use to keep up on exactly where on the battlefield certain troops were stationed as the conflict unfolded, and how they were moved about in relation to the other units at that particular time period being discussed.

I think that for anybody who has a fascination with this period of American history, this book gives a very detailed account of the first day of this battle that history, in general, tends to pass by, being exclipsed somewhat by the more famous happenings that happped here on July 2 and 3. I myself know that I have a much clearer view of what went on the first day here than I did before.

Just thought I'd pass this along for any interested readers.

Take care, Sgirty
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 06:48 PM UTC
Thanks for the review, Sgirty...
I will definately check this read out, as I love to study military history in all aspects.

Sincerely,
Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 04:50 AM UTC
I read that book several years ago, and totally concur. One of the best Gettysburg books I have ever read. It is in my Civil War book collection. I believe someone (maybe he did ) wrote one on the Second Day, but I never bought it.. That was the critical day where the battle was truely won.