History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Australian Army Question!!! and help for info
CACMAN
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2004 - 08:31 PM UTC
I'm new on here and i have noticed that there are alot of non UK based people that use the forums,

so in that fact i'm hoping that you may be able to help.

heres the situation, My Grandfather died fairly recently and i didnt know to much about his time he spent in the Australian Army after he transferred to them post war. they emigrated out there in around 1955 and my Grandad was a Sgt in the Royal Autralian Artillery working on the Proof Ranges, (i think it was in Queensland).

I would like any links people might have to Photos of the area or any links to Australian Forums of this similar vain.

is anyone able to help please! i desperatly would like to know a bit more about his time out there, he was also a Chelsea Pensioner

Thanks in advance
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2004 - 09:32 PM UTC

Jack

Head off to awm.gov.au - sorry don't know how to make it a hot link. This is the site of the Australian War Memorial. They have a section where you can search relatives names and details.

Don't know of "Proof Ranges" here in Queensland but many ex army facilities are now housing developments so names will have been changed.

Good Luck

Brian
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2004 - 09:37 PM UTC
try http://awm.gov.au
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 04:33 AM UTC
I too have never heard of "proof ranges" here either. But I do know that in the early 50's to 60's a lot of the WW2 bases were still there with maintenance staff looking after them. I agree with Bilko try the AWM first and this could lead to the answers you are after.
CACMAN
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 02:21 PM UTC
"proof Ranges" sorry i'lll explain a little more. as far as i understand it he was involved in helping run the trials on weapons before the Australian Army purchased them, (nothing high level but just involved in the actual trials)

thanks for your help so far though i'll check out that site today. Thanks again
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 02:44 PM UTC
probably the test areas at Fishermans Bend in Melbourne. However tests were also carried out in outback Queensland and the Atherton tablelands Queensland. I have pics of sherman tank trials here to see if it was the tank the AIF wished to buy. They ended up buying Matildas from Britain.
CACMAN
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 07:08 PM UTC
Thanks for your help guys, i've managed to find out that he was at Port Wakefield Proof and Experimental Establishment, and also Kapoola camp (wherever they are )

if any one can help with picturs of these from around 1950 onwards i would be very greatfull?

thanks again for any help