Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Calling for help from UK members
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2004 - 05:39 PM UTC
I will be on holiday in the UK Dec. 12th - Dec. 26th, I will be in 4 primary areas the South East, York, and back to the South Central and some in London. I have a couple of questions if you could help I would appreciate it. The first question is if you could visit any of the WWII related museums that would feature both Brit and US items which would you choose? The other question I have, are any of you familiar with the Hull, Burton Pidsea Area? My ancestors came from this area and there are a number of of sites I would like to visit in that area. I have contacted a number of genelogical societies but to no avail, at least not yet. Right now I only no of one site, and that would be the church in Burton Pidsea. I do know there were a couple of manor house also. I did have contact with a gentleman in that area that said he was familiar with the area and the family history and said he could get me in. However, this gentleman seems to have diappeared. If you would have any ideas or suggestions that would be helpful I would be greatful for assistance.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2004 - 05:51 PM UTC
nato308,

good to hear your coming to visit us!

there are plenty of museums worth a visit, especially in london. however in the areas you mentioned,

imperial war museum duxford. (south midlands)

excellent collection of aircraft and ground warfare exhibits, and as its an airfield, there are often WW2 fighters flying round.

the imperial war museum in london is also good, as are most of the london museums.

Hull isnt far from where i live, although im not familiar with the area,

try these two email addresses, they are for local tourist info centres

[email protected]

[email protected]

sorry i cant be of more assitance

regards

joe
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2004 - 05:58 PM UTC
Thank you for your help anything is a help at this point. I will try the addresses you have included, thanks again!
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 11:38 AM UTC
HI nato308,

If you are going to be in the York area then there are two museums in the area that might be worth a visit. The first is The Yorkshire Air Museum, just a few miles outside York. It is sited at a former bomber airfield and has a collection of millitary aircraft and displays in the airfield buildings.

Yorkshire Air Museum

The second is Eden Camp, about 20 miles outside York. It's a former POW camp in which each of the huts houses displays on a diferent theme running through WW2.

Eden Camp
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 09:53 PM UTC
Not forgetting Leeds you can vist the royal armouries there very impressive it's only a short journey from York

or pop over to the imperial war muesum in Manchester
mlb63
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 199 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 05:54 AM UTC
there is also the national army museum at the royal hospital in chelsea.there is usually a pensioner there who is only too happy to show you around the museum.
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 07:29 PM UTC
Thank you for all the suggestions I really appreciate it! I will have to do some surfin' and see what appeals the most and which will be the most likely to be worked in the intenerary. Thanks,

Paul