_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Mold making stuff
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 08:07 PM UTC
Anybody seen this stuff or used it? for $9.99 would save opening the rubber up just to cast a small part.
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/DisplayProduct?prrfnbr=405981
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 08:23 PM UTC
I haven't seen that. I was in Michael's the other day looking at that kind of stuff and may have missed it-I'll have to go back and look.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 09:24 PM UTC
I've got the stuff and tried it. Too much shrinkage in the mold. I use a different type of stuff now, basically paint it on (like a latex), build up the layers until there is about a ¼" around the small part. then I pour some into various sized bottlecaps (I use these as mold holders). Pop the part out after the mold has set and then add the resin. I set the bottlecap on the back portion of my monitor overnight to help speed up the curing process.

I use soda bottlecaps for small parts and 1 quart lids from Gatorade bottles for larger parts like road wheels.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 10:00 PM UTC
Sabot,

Are you talking about the liquid latex in a white jar with a screw on lid? I have used that also for recasting sections of cobblestone road. I bought some resin road sections, paint on the rubber, several coats as you stated, then peel off. I then used plaster of paris(high quality) to cast new sections for display bases. I'll hav to try it for casting small parts. Had a fellow club member that used it to cast vehicle stowage.

Jeff
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sabot,

Are you talking about the liquid latex in a white jar with a screw on lid? I have used that also for recasting sections of cobblestone road. I bought some resin road sections, paint on the rubber, several coats as you stated, then peel off. I then used plaster of paris(high quality) to cast new sections for display bases. I'll hav to try it for casting small parts. Had a fellow club member that used it to cast vehicle stowage.

Jeff

That's the stuff. I apply it using the Testors white brushes. I'll look up the name at home. I've cast molds of road wheels inside detail. Since most Sherman road wheels don't have an inner detail, I took a spare road wheel from the parts box and removed the outer road wheel portion until all that was left was the hub detail. I then drilled out the center of the road wheel. The remaining piece looked like a fat washer with the road wheel detail on one side. I then made a mold of it and started casting these "inside road wheel" details. They fit into the back side of a road wheel and add detail that was missing. I made enough for one tank (12 of them) and was goint to add them to my Jumbo Sherman when I re-made it. But then a thread stated that the open spoked road wheels were more common. I'll use them with one of my new M4A3s.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2002 - 08:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sabot,

Jeff

That's the stuff. I apply it using the Testors white brushes. I'll look up the name at home. I've cast molds of road wheels inside detail. Since most Sherman road wheels don't have an inner detail, I took a spare road wheel from the parts box and removed the outer road wheel portion until all that was left was the hub detail. I then drilled out the center of the road wheel. The remaining piece looked like a fat washer with the road wheel detail on one side. I then made a mold of it and started casting these "inside road wheel" details. They fit into the back side of a road wheel and add detail that was missing. I made enough for one tank (12 of them) and was goint to add them to my Jumbo Sherman when I re-made it. But then a thread stated that the open spoked road wheels were more common. I'll use them with one of my new M4A3s.

Mold builder by any chance on that Rob.
 _GOTOTOP