_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
TAMIYA AIRBRUSH Set
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 01:15 PM UTC
I read you loud and clear !!!!!
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 01:53 PM UTC
Hi,

Does anybody have comments, reviews or feedback regarding the Tamiya Spray-work basic set. I am contemplating on buying said airbrush because of the price (cheap) and also because it already comes with a compressor.

I am a newbie in airbrushing, and I do not have an idea if said airbrush is OK for beginners like me.

Maybe someone could help me out....

Thanks
octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 02:10 PM UTC
Warthog,

I suggest that you'd better get a better one like the Badger's.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 02:18 PM UTC
I had it at home, I bought it mainly for the compressor, and the reason I bought the compressor is because I was tricked by the shop owner whom tried to make a quick sell. All I can say is the compressor and the airbrush set has only one use now that is to spray Future coating for my models. Other than that, they are pretty useless. Do yourself a favour, save the money, and go get a better compressor and air brush.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 07:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I had it at home, I bought it mainly for the compressor, and the reason I bought the compressor is because I was tricked by the shop owner whom tried to make a quick sell. All I can say is the compressor and the airbrush set has only one use now that is to spray Future coating for my models. Other than that, they are pretty useless. Do yourself a favour, save the money, and go get a better compressor and air brush.

Agree 100% on that model companies should not get into Airbrush business!!. Sort of like buying a $5.99 airbrush and wondering why you can't get a good finish
Bribo
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 10:35 PM UTC
does anyone have an opinion on the Tamiya HG Superfine Brush? I've seen a few positive reviews, but they seem ot smack of marketing jibberish. Sounds as if the spray-work is not well regarded, i wondered if the superfine was bad also.

Bribo
octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 11:09 PM UTC
I've got the Tamiya HG Trigger Type #74510, it's not bad at all but not as good as Badger's.
I read on the net that the HG type airbrushes were not made by Tamiya but Iwata products.
warthog
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 05:07 PM UTC
Thanks for the numerous inputs and advices all have been very helpful.
octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 06:03 PM UTC
Warthog,

Maybe you can try this web site to choose an Airbrush which suits you the most: http://www.coastairbrush.com/toc.html
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 12:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

does anyone have an opinion on the Tamiya HG Superfine Brush? I've seen a few positive reviews, but they seem ot smack of marketing jibberish. Sounds as if the spray-work is not well regarded, i wondered if the superfine was bad also.

Bribo

Ciao:

I own an HG Super Fine. So far, it has not failed me. It did what it was advertised. It can give me fine lines. Ideal if you want to paint those complex German cammo patterns. I also use it for precision painting (if I do not need to cover a large area).

The things you need to look out are:

1. The nozzle is very tiny (at 2mm) Be careful not to lose it or it will be like looking for a needle in the haystack.
2. The trigger stop is tricky to put back when you reassemble the airbrush after cleaning. Use a pair of tweezers.
3. The paint cup is small but since it's for precision painting, not for painting large areas, it would not matter.
4. Most of the parts are metal so It's safe to clean with lacquer thinner (it's lacquer-friendly).

Ron
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 12:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,

Does anybody have comments, reviews or feedback regarding the Tamiya Spray-work basic set. I am contemplating on buying said airbrush because of the price (cheap) and also because it already comes with a compressor.

I am a newbie in airbrushing, and I do not have an idea if said airbrush is OK for beginners like me.

Maybe someone could help me out....

Thanks

Kabayan:

I've been using Tamiya a/b for about 15 years and it has never failed me. I do mean to put down other brands. What I like about it is it comes with a compressor. It's portable, you can take it anywhere. You can interchange the nozzle between wide (for large areas) and fine (for precise painting). Most of my clubmates also use that model. If you like, I'd introduce them to you. You can reach me at thid e-mail address: [email protected]

There are parts available for the a/b if any gets lost or broken. I'm willing to help you find a source for these parts. It's also easy to maintain the unit.

I'd say go for Tamiya.

Sure Badger is cool (if you want the Badger, go for the 200 series or get a double-action if your budget allows it). But parts are a bit hard to find here. You may have to order and it may take time. Of course, you know that you will need to buy a compressor which costs more than 3,000+ pesos (minimum).
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 12:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bribo

I've got the HG Superfine and like it very much.
I've also heard that it is made by Iwata with the Tamiya logo on it. I've not tried to put Iwata parts into the Tamiya brush yet though..

Be very careful with the needle and especially the nozzle.. In a clumsy moment, I damaged both. Needles are $11ish but the nozzle was $42 !!!
Or about $60 with express shipping from the folks at Westcoast.

Mike
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 09:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Be very careful with the needle and especially the nozzle.. In a clumsy moment, I damaged both. Needles are $11ish but the nozzle was $42 !!!
Mike

Tell me about it. My nozzle broke while I was screwing it on. That wrench is giving you added leverage when tightening the nozzle.

Ron
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 09:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike

Tell me about it. My nozzle broke while I was screwing it on. That wrench is giving you added leverage when tightening the nozzle.

Ron
 _GOTOTOP