_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Bus Wire
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 01:33 AM UTC
Could anybody tell me if you could use bus wire instead of solder for things like hydraulic lines and what not.

They say it is uninsulated tinned-copper ideally suited for use on printed circuit boards.
The thing of it is, it looks just like the real fine solder, but you get 50 feet for $2.00,at Radio Shack and this will be a real cheap source, but if you know it won't work, then I can take it back today and get solder, if somebody can answer real quick, while I still got a ride for the day.
Thank You in advance.

Kerry
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 01:45 AM UTC
Hey Kerry!
Don't see why it shouldn't work, it's really just copper wire coated with solder( that's what "Tinning" is, because the material in solder that gives it plasticity is Tin.)
The main reason most scratckbuilders use solder is that it's more pliable than copper, and can be routed more easily without kinking or breakage. As long as this 'Bus Cable' is the dia. you need and you can make it fit where you need it, all other properties should be Identical. Go with Cheap!
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 02:04 AM UTC
Thank you very much Robert that is the answer I was hoping for, if I'm not to tired tonight, I'll give it a try, but right now, I got to go back into town, and do some more things, and thanks to you, exchanging this isn't one of them.

Kerry
 _GOTOTOP