_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
magnifying light
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 12:06 PM UTC
anyone know of a magnifying light out there, if you dont know what i'm talking about it is this, a magnifying glass (just bigger) with a light attachment in or on it so i can paint my 1/35 figs better (and my other scale figs)?? if so, please let me know soon

thanks
shain
TempExp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 148 Posts
KitMaker Network: 106 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 02:40 PM UTC
I have a big magnifying swing lamp, if that's what you're talking about.

It's mounted on a swing arm, has a circular bulb around a big magnifying glass, kinda like this...

I think I got mine at a office supply store like Staples or Office Max.

straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 03:37 PM UTC
Hello Shain, I got one something like what Landon has, and the extra light comes in handy many times.
Right now it is all I have, but I would still like to get a head set also, cause as you will find this will not reach in every position you need.

Kerry
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 04:35 PM UTC
you can also head down to IKEA and get one of these...

its pretty cheap
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 06:13 PM UTC
I bought a headset (which has 4 different magnifying lense sets) with a light attached from the local watchmaking supplies store.

I have also seen the lamps that TempExp mentioned at needlework stores, DIY stores and arts & crafts stores.
Raid25
Visit this Community
Jämtland, Sweden
entire network: 13 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 06:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

its pretty cheap

You have IKEA in Singapore!!?? I live in Sweden and I have to travel 220 km to find my nearest IKEA
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 06:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

its pretty cheap

You have IKEA in Singapore!!?? I live in Sweden and I have to travel 220 km to find my nearest IKEA

LOL, i had a good laugh on that one :-)

well, you gotta take in consideration that my country is just a small city state...
Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 437 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 12:11 AM UTC
Shain,

Check out www.hometown-hobbies.com and look in their paint, supplies and tools area. They have a couple iluminated magnifiers.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 01:07 AM UTC
You should be able to find something like this in any office superstore or even a Michael's/AC Moore. I have one but find it hard to use. You have one focal point which may not be the best position. To use it most efficiently, you should be looking straight through the lens. You are sure to bump the light and set it in springy motion. Until it's steady, you are going to risk motion sickness looking through it.
An Opti-visor , or similar product is the way to go. Youi maintain binocular vision, the item stays securely in place and doesn;t bounce when you move.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 01:13 AM UTC
(adding to what AJ just said & deleting my original post...) ...and you can pick one up at Harbor Freight for 3.00USD. Skip the self-lighted version & buy yourself two good halogens. One to direct light straight down (for shading) and one you can direct straight at the project from your viewpoint. Save your eyes!
BTW- hope you rode out the storm alright. I hear Richmond took a pounding- How 'bout Fredricksburg?
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 01:52 AM UTC
I got a cheap one for about $20 at Office Depot or Office Max.

Paul
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 02:53 AM UTC
All the office supply stores, Best Buy, Wal-Mart carry them. I bought one at Wal-Mart and one from Office Depot. I couldn't build a model without one.
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 03:29 PM UTC
Got the same thing as Landon, and man, it does make a difference. Got it at Office Depot.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 12:26 AM UTC
I use an Optivisor,and bought a clip on light that fits on the area in front of your eyes.It runs off 2 AA batteries,and may be a halogen bub.The battery pack clips to the headband,making the whole rig a bit heavier.I can swivel it up and down,to get it to aim at where my eyes are looking.The light may be an Optivisor product.

Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 08:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

sorry but haha thats very ironic, but thanks guys for all the info, in my old 16 years of age, my eyes are going out haha :-)
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 05:58 PM UTC
Well Shain I guess you wouldn't haft to worry about your eyes going out, but, it is seeing to finish and paint these models.

I've seen quite a few young new comers exibit their models, and you could tell right off the ones that didn't have magnifiers, cause as soon as they took the picture under that flower mode or what ever it is that makes the picture a lot bigger, for close ups.
You could see all the mold lines, and other things they missed, and never cleaned up, cause they couldn't see them on their models.

Now the lamp I have it doesn't move, unless I want it to, cause it has adjustable tension knobs at every bend. The magnifying glass is real glass, and is heavy and doesn't scratch. Now probably the cheapest would be the head set, cause it isn't worth getting a cheap extension lamp, without tension knobs, or a glass lens.

Kerry
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2004 - 09:39 AM UTC
The light is fine. I have one, but an Optivisor has more magnification and it moves with your head. You can even mount a small bright light to it. Micro-Mark, hobby stores, etc.

Sealhead
 _GOTOTOP