_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Soverign 2000
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:44 AM UTC
Hi Guys. A new online shop here is selling the soverign 2000 line and they have some nice kits. The price is between normal to 1.5 times the price of Tamiya / Dragon kits.
Anybody ever build these kits and got an opinion on build up and quality? They also have a few useful link and length track sets which are about 60% the price of friul or the likes. Same goes .... building comments and quality??? Cheers!
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:51 AM UTC
hi frank,

ive built a couple of thier kits, the daimler mk1 armoured car and the 2-pdr(a review is on this site)

the resin parts in both kits were excellent, the white metal ones not so good,

in the 2-pdr they were great, but in the daimler they are pretty bad, especially the barrel and some of the smaller parts.

all in all i was impressed, especially due to the cost, like you said, not much more than a plastic kit!

i would recommend them, but be aware you may need to replace the odd part

cheers

joe
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 07:04 AM UTC
Thanks Joe. I read an article a while back in Military Modelling where steve Zaloga built the 2 pdr. He gives pretty much the same opinion. I never thought much about the company as they werent available locally.
So are they basically an all resin or resin and white metal part kits? That would almost put me off as Im not a fan of resin kits!
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 07:08 AM UTC
the ones i have built were a mixture of resin and metal,

the main parts, hulls, turrets etc would be resin, with the detail parts in white metal

this makes them a little easier to build in my opinion,

why not try one and see what you think, they arent the most expensive kits in the world

cheers

joe
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 07:16 AM UTC
Thanks Joe. I might just take up that suggestion. I liked their Sd Kfz 11. 3 ton halftrack , late cargo variant. Looks cool. Also their Austin lorries have appeal.
They have quite good prices on track sets for panzer II and Sd.Kfz. 251 and the likes. I might start there as I need a few track sets for upcoming projects ... the old tamiya 251 and Wespe!
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 01:19 PM UTC
I've built the Daimler & Humber armoured cars, and while not up to Accurate Armour standards they are cheaper. In my opinion they are accurate enough and good value for the price. Just be prepared for a bit of clean up work and fit adjustment that you have with any resin kit.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 09:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just be prepared for a bit of clean up work and fit adjustment that you have with any resin kit.

I expect it! Ive only built a few verlinden guns made totally from resin and wasnt craving more aferwards. I dont find resin enjoyable at all. But I might take a chance with them now that they are available and quite well priced considering the medium.
Thanks for taking the time Joe and Dave to answer!
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 09:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I expect it! Ive only built a few verlinden guns made totally from resin and wasnt craving more aferwards. I dont find resin enjoyable at all.

im not surprised!

i personnally find most verlinden items inferior to plastic, the entire product line is over hyped, it may have been good in the 80s, but its not up to todays standards

however not all resin is like verlinden, most is very good even if it is expensive

dont let some bad products put you off resin for good!

cheers

joe
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 10:31 PM UTC
Lord Plasticbattle,

I never built any SOV.2000 kits, but I do own a Pz III Ausf A from them. very very nice kit.

ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 01:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've built the Daimler & Humber armoured cars, and while not up to Accurate Armour standards they are cheaper

Any special points to watch out for on the Daimler? I've got one on order, always liked the look of them, just didn't like the price of the AA examples. To me, the Daimler and the SdKfz 234/2 Puma were the best looking armoured cars of WW2.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 03:03 AM UTC
It's mainly just checking the fit of parts before gluing them. Instructions are a bit 'old school' but other wise no problems.
 _GOTOTOP