_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Argh! You guys in the US&UK are lucky
Raid25
Visit this Community
Jämtland, Sweden
entire network: 13 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 11:24 PM UTC
You got all the compressors needed for great prices. Here in Sweden it is all but impossible to find a Werther Two for under 330 dollars. I saw a Werther Two on a UK-site for like 135 dollars.
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 02:03 AM UTC
Too bad, hehehehe......, maybe you can make a deal with someone in the UK, I mean 135 plus shipping & handling should be less than 330.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 03:40 AM UTC
Raid,
Try your local tool shop you should get a suitable compressor there and unlike ones just for airbrushes you can use it for other things thats what I done try a place like this this what I got from there works just as good as any expensive one

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 04:24 AM UTC
Well you have all the hot looking nordic blondes and we have cheap air compressors. Who got the better end of the deal there??
Raid25
Visit this Community
Jämtland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 05:22 AM UTC
We got plenty of hardware stores but not enough hobby-stores. I can pick up a bulkier compressor with a 25 litre tank for around 100£ or 185$ US.

Fini compressors

The problem with the bulkier ones, such as the Ciao 25/230 or 6/185 shown in the link above, is that they arent silent. We are talking 90 decibel, and I live in an apartment with lots of neighbours.

I'll be lucky If I dont loose my apartment for power up one of those babies. And those ultrasilent ones I saw in your link, they cost something like £478 or $858.

The situation sucks!
Raid25
Visit this Community
Jämtland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 05:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well you have all the hot looking nordic blondes and we have cheap air compressors. Who got the better end of the deal there??

Well...if you really dig scandinavian chics I can show you the Way. If you cant travel to Sweden, travel to Minnesota. They have the largest number of people with Scandinavian ancestry. (I think one figure is 25% of all Minnesotans)
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 05:50 AM UTC
i dont use an airbrush.
because i build tanks.
plus after u do a wash and weather them.
and dry bursh them u cant really tell if the paintwas put on by air brush or can so i use a spray can
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:59 AM UTC
Have you tried Wentzels in Stockholm? They have some deals on silent compressor/airbrush combos that are quite good. PumaHobby has some too!
I bought the cheap Clas Olsson and it does the trick! It runs all the time, but you can dampen the sound by laying a thick rubber mat under it and build a sound box around it. I have neighbours all round as well, and havent had a complaint in 3 years!
recon-19d
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 107 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 09:14 AM UTC
CO2 in a small welding tank / scuba tank. Cheap & no sound.
Someone just did a post about it (last week?).
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 11:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

LOL...... I'd gladly trade a cheap air compressor for a a hot nordic blonde..... heck, I'd take a cold nordic blonde even..... LOL LMAO
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 11:24 AM UTC
I would also trade you a compressor for a hot nordic blonde, but I don't have any Idea how big of a box you will need......... :-)
Raid25
Visit this Community
Jämtland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 05:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Have you tried Wentzels in Stockholm? They have some deals on silent compressor/airbrush combos that are quite good. PumaHobby has some too!
I bought the cheap Clas Olsson and it does the trick! It runs all the time, but you can dampen the sound by laying a thick rubber mat under it and build a sound box around it. I have neighbours all round as well, and havent had a complaint in 3 years!

Hm...Wentzels....I think I've heard of em, but I cant remember seein a home page.

As for building a sound box...I guess it could work, but I dont have any materials for it. Although that isnt the biggest of problems of course..I'm still gonna search for a silent cheap compressor first though.

One question by the way: What a swede doing in Ireland?
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:41 PM UTC
US and UK are lucky not only for compressors but also having very good hobby shops with great figures and models. :-)
Raid25
Visit this Community
Jämtland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

US and UK are lucky not only for compressors but also having very good hobby shops with great figures and models. :-)

Aye...that reminds me, the reason I decided to go back to moddeling after like 9 years of hiatus is partially because of this site. 9 Years ago I didnt really go into modelling seriously. I didnt even paint em and only bought these 1:72 scale planes and tanks. But after I found this, (and others ), I finally found all the support, not to mention finding modell-stores online in general, on this site.

By the way, I could mention what I've got planned just for kicks.

After reading a few articles...basicly "Modelling for dummies".. I decided that its best if I use an Airbrush to paint my models. For that I figure I need a good compressor, perhaps Werther Two model. I've also been recommended to buy the Badger 175 Crescendo (full kit) for my airbrush needs. (this kit is also a pain in the ass to find in Sweden but not impossible)

Once I have these two items in question I'll start to teach myself some airbrushing techniques using regular ink (with water?) on paper or whichever surface I can find.

Once I have a (general) feeling for airbrushing, which I know isnt easy to learn by the way, I'll start light modelling. I figure I'll get a Panzer IV D and paint it Panzer Gre(a)y just for starters. The camo. thing I'll have to work on seperatly on something other than a model at first. I'm gonna put that special Tape you use for better camo patterns to good use. (I think Tamiya has a good special tape)

Once I've gotten enough practice...(and I have a feeling this will be lots of trial and error hence using ink and paper first)...I'm setting my goal to my dream model. Tamiya Panzer H with armour skirts and plenty of camo.

I'll tell you what, I think I can borrow a digital camera to use when I start modelling and make some kind of reality show: "Painting with Airbrush; So ******* hard"

In the beginning it will be lots of pictures of a crappily painted up Panzer IV D and me preparing to use a hammer on it for therapy purposes. (hehe) But once I gotten the technique in order I'll make sure to document the finished model.

That might be a cool collage.
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 09:04 PM UTC
That's great! after reading all of that I just kind of felt better. Airbrushing isn't that hard, once you get the hang of it you'll see that you can do anything.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Im actually Irish living in Sweden. Home of all those nordic blondes that everybody seems to want. Plenty of cold nordic blondes but the hot ones are thin on the ground!
Wentzels is a hobby store in Stockholm. Their homepage is nothing more than contact details and brief description. Give them a ring and ask.
Wentzels homepage
You could also contact Johnny Puma. He had some deals a while back. Find his address and contact details on Stockholm IPMS homepage.

The box for dampening the sound could be a cardboard box, lined with something to dull the sound. The rubber mat is important as vibrations carry the sound more than what can actually be heard in an apartment house.

Raid25
Visit this Community
Jämtland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 09:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Im actually Irish living in Sweden. Home of all those nordic blondes that everybody seems to want. Plenty of cold nordic blondes but the hot ones are thin on the ground!

Oh...I just figured that since I saw yer homeland stated as Ireland and yer nationality as Swedish you were Swede in Ireland.

Anyways, I did contact Wentzels earlier today by phone and spoke to a dude called "Janne"..which I guess is swedish name for "Johnny". He told me he had three compressor models coming in, the cheapest of these went for 1800 SEK or £133 or $238 which I suppose isnt that bad considering the other prices I've found domesticly. (the bulkier and LOUD ones I've found locally went for 1500 SEK) I'm gonna call him again when he verifies his stock. Thanks for the tip mate
 _GOTOTOP