_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
35 days to MMX In Halifax.
PEIRECCE
Visit this Community
Prince Edward Island, Canada
entire network: 117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 07:50 PM UTC
Who's going and what are they bringing? Looks like it is going to be a good weekend. I am pondering what catagory I should enter under, hobbiest or hardcore, and should I enter my entry under modern armour or canadiana. Needless to say after the fleet club closes the old Split Crow should be rocking on a saturday night! I dare say it will be a quiet morning for me on sunday!!
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:43 AM UTC
Yikes.....now that you have put it that way, I guess I had better get my butt in gear!!!!!

I am strictly hobbiest, maybe not as flashy and doesn't get the recogntion of the higher up catagories.....but oh well.

I should have 3 kits in the Modern Armor catagory, T-62, Leo 2, and a BM-21 GRAD. One in Aircraft or Canadiana, not sure which, it will be a Canadian CF-117 in daytime camo, (I have never really thought they were too keen on "WHAT IF" subjects down there), and one in Sci Fi, PL Klingon D7.

Still have to finish the Leo and GRAD...which is why I say I have to get my butt in gear!!!! LOL
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,698 Posts
KitMaker Network: 130 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 10:11 PM UTC
I'll be in Display / "Gold" (hahah, love that name.. not) class. Be bringing many M113, a T55 or two or three, AS-90, Type 90.

Sadly I didn't get any aircraft done for the show.

I'm also going to sell some kits out of the trunk of my car to pay for gas!

Staying over sat. night only.

PEIRECCE
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 10:12 PM UTC
Wow that is a lot of models, I have built 2 and a half over the last three and a half years. I am not sure about the catagories either as the description is a little confusing. I guess they will provide a little more guidance on the day of the show. Hope to see you there.

Mark
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 03:35 AM UTC
Well there are at least 8 of us going to be there from the Quebec city region ... Geese I don't know what category to put my stuff into... I'm bringing my Pershing ,Sturmtiger and if I have time to fix up my old Famo kit ...Right now I'm trying to finish M4A2 from Tarawa for the Pacific theme... My friend Denis Allaire will be bringing some of his latest figures....take a look at his latest ...
Claude Morreau will be bring up some of his figures too . A couple of others are bringing some planes so we should have some fun ... Slit Crow eh!! Sounds interesting!! Be prepared for the French invasion... lol
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:12 AM UTC
Hey there Stormfront....

Gold class????

Isn't that reserved for kits that have won a gold award in other shows????

By my calculations....that is actually only one of those kits you have listed have won gold anywhere...and that was the SIDAM at the Freddy show.....can't see why you couldn't enter in the Hardcore class.

AHHHHHH

Scratch that....I read it wrong....here is what is says on their web site for Gold:

The Gold class is strongly suggested for those modellers who have won a gold meda, a Best of Category or a Best of Show award at a previous MMM (or a comparable model show) and feel there is nothing left to prove, to themselves or the judges, and are ready for a new challenge. It is also recommended for those who do not subscribe to the regular judging system of model shows:

In the Gold Medal competition, there are no show-designated judges. Instead, your fellow modellers cast ballots to pick the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. In this category only, all entries compete against one another on an equal footing, with no distinctions made for armour versus aircraft, diorama versus figures, etc. You are judged by your peers. To the winner go the spoils: TBA

Guess it depends on how you feel.....I would put some in each catagory depending on how its built.

The only thing I don't like about the "Gold" class is that no matter what you build...its all in the same Catagory.....so you could have an F-4 Phantom, going up against a T55, going up against a figure, up against a ship, or a car. No sub catagories in the Gold class.....and you can't enter a tank in Gold, one in Hardcore, and one in Hobbiest.....

Oh well.....not like it matters to me....as I am in the Hobbiest anyway....and just going for the experiance....

Let me know what you are interested in selling....get first choice on the ones you are willing to part with...lol

gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... My friend Denis Allaire will be bringing some of his latest figures....take a look at his latest ...

For me, seeing those figures in person will be worth the trip alone.
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 10:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey there Stormfront....

Gold class????

Isn't that reserved for kits that have won a gold award in other shows????

Guess it depends on how you feel.....I would put some in each catagory depending on how its built.

I'll only be in Display or Gold class or whatever they decide to call it on show day. I want to bring the M-113's all down to hopefully generate a little interest in the book. Nick is coming down from Montreal on Friday, hopefully with some of the projects from his Stalin title.

As for kits to sell, I'll fire you a list off line.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some Maritimers again ~ its been 3 years since I moved away, should be a great time.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 08:45 AM UTC
I honest believe that now that they change to a fall date....I think they may almost get more people and kits than they can maybe handle at the Fleet Club.

Although there was lots of room last year, even with the Tamiya Con....with the prospect of better weather ie: no snow or freezing rain, they actually might be hurting for space. I mean there are a ton of people that you and I know from Freddy, Moncton, Ontario, PEI etc, that haven't been there for a few years that are going....I mean from the local club itself, including you and I, we are looking at 5 to 6 people, possibly as high as 8 depending on who can go....add to that other people that haven't gone because of the weather.....it could be a huge explosion in numbers.

Which is great....the more the merrier...lol.....will suck as far as the door prizes go though...lol...not as much to go around!!! :-)
PEIRECCE
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 07:28 PM UTC
They need to stay at at the fleet club, having a lounge with in stumbling distance of the show is imperative for us ( or this) islanders!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 03:21 AM UTC
Darn my hotel room is a 15 minute ride from there...Can we all say "TAXI" hic! lol :-)

Rick
RayW
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 848 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 05:07 AM UTC
Hi There,

I've gone the last two years and had a good time each time. I just moved to Newfoundland last year and not sure if I can make it this year. I usually compete in figures and would be looking forward to seeing some new figure modellers and new figures this year. As for the Gold class it will be interesting to see what shows up.

Cheers

Ray
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 02:30 AM UTC
a few of us are staying at the Comfort Inn Dartmouth on Windmill Rd.

I'll probably go direct to the show, stay at the fleet club until closing, and cab it back to the hotel. Cab it back out to the show for Sunday.

There's a 5 lb Donair with my name on it in Halifax. Oh, FSM might be sending a reporter too.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 05:19 AM UTC
HEHE....5lb Donair....what wouldn't be from Robertson's (I think thats what its called)????

The only place you can get a donair the size of a nerf football for about $6.....all on a little bity piece of pita....lol

Awesome stuff!!!! Make sure you get it on Saturday, cause the last time I was down, they didn't open until like 4pm on Sunday which sucked!!
 _GOTOTOP