_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Humbrol maskol?
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 07:15 AM UTC
I have just started a new Tank,its a King Tiger and i want to do an ambush camo.i was a bit worried about using masking tape to make the camo pattern until i came across a Tiger II on another site. he used this stuff to do his camo and it looks quit good.what is it and is it easy to apply.thanks in advance
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 11:34 AM UTC

Mate

Hold your nose while you use it - it stinks. It is a purple coloured (yes we Aussies know how to spell English) liquid latex masking agent.

I have used it on aircraft with some success. The only thing I learned was to try to not go too far over the mask with the paint and if you do to lift the Maskol before the paint has set. I didn't do this on a Mosquito and the stretching when removing the Maskol lifted sheets of paint off too. . It helps if you put little paper tags sticking out of the Maskol in places to help lift it later - either that or gently use an exacto to lift enough to grab with tweezers.

It cleans up with Windex (ammonia I assume) but even so make sure you use an old brush.

Brian

Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 11:41 AM UTC
Tigeriv,

i agree with Brian aka bilko. the stuff really stink and sometimes it smells like Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S)..
it is easy to apply them.. just apply to the required area, wait for 5-10 mins and then u can perform ur task. just remember not to leave MASKOL for too long. Once i left them over 2 weeks in its almost to removed all of them without damaging the paint beneath them.

Other than that, yes, use an old brush...or cheap brush... from the back of the bottle, it is said that clean with cellulose thinner (from Humbroll too, beware this thinner is harmful to health) or u can use lacquer thinner too clean ur brush.

good luck!!
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 12:09 PM UTC
you can also use silly putty for that kind of job, easy to apply easy to remove
 _GOTOTOP