_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Would this work ?
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 754 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 12:49 AM UTC
Hi all

This morning I was going through the sunday ads pricing digital camaras. { my next big purchase} I saw an ad from a local store that developes pictures. They claim they can take film from a regular camara and put it on a CD. This way the pictures can then be loaded on to a computer. My question is would this work to post pictures here ? If it will it would make my wallet very happy

Thanks
Wolfsix
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:07 AM UTC
Yes it would work as when up loading the photo's the web page asks were the pics are so you can specify
were the images are
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
entire network: 6,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 276 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:19 AM UTC
You can get the film developed then do it yourself with a scanner. Just scan the pics into a certain folder. And scanners are very cheap. I bought mine in Egypt for the equivalent of about $40. And we have to pay customs and all that stuff.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:23 AM UTC
you bet i does. i myself was unable to post my pics until i had asked the guys here what to do. they where very helpful. now i will allways get a cd w/ my film.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:42 AM UTC
I normally take a digital camera with me, but it is limited to 40 pictures in normal mode. The last time I went down to Aberdeen, I also brought my 35mm camera with about 4 rolls of 24 exposure film.

When I took them to Wal-Mart to be developed, the clerk asked if I wanted them on a CD for like $1.95 extra. I told him no because I figured I could scan them onto my computer myself.

Big mistake, while scanning a hundred or so photos is possible, it is a time consuming task. Not to mention a major PITA. I wish I had paid the $8 or so and had them burn them to a CD.
RAF-Mad
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 153 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 02:13 AM UTC
Basically all the do is scan the negatives alot of home scanners cant do the same thing, handy when you dont have a digital camara
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 03:59 AM UTC
Consider your options first.

Digital camera: Have come down in price dramatically in the last year. For posting clearly on the web, only 2 megapixels is needed. You could get a perfect camera for $150 or less. Check the second hand market as some techy folk keep upgrading. Look for a camera with mocros or close-up feature.
Regular camera. Take photos, develop, pay extra for cd. Works but if you have one quickie, you have to wait until you finish the spool, go to the developers and get it back. Often it happens, i take in progress, photograph and show it online just toget help or opinions. Within one hour I have an answer. Cost for developing adds up quickly.
Scanner: As Rob said, scanning photos is time consuming and boring, plus the price for something you will next to never use. My money is on, by the time you connect up your scanner, you´ll be looking for that digital camera anyway.
My advice ... spend some time shopping around or checking the "for sale" colums for that digital camera. An extra memory card could be bought if needed.
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 754 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 05:45 AM UTC
Hi all

Thanks guys for getting back to me so quick. I plan on buying a digital camara, but right now moneys a little tight {Two young girls + back to school shopping = Dad's empty pockets} What I'm going to do is take some pictures with my regular camara, get the pics burned to a CD in order to get some posted. See I've been feeling kind of guilty, I've been a member here for almost a year and have yet to post any pics. I plan on changing that very soon. Thanks again guys, you've help me come up with a plan.

Harry.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 07:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I plan on buying a digital camara, but right now moneys a little tight {Two young girls + back to school shopping = Dad's empty pockets}
Harry.

There's the justification! Two little girls, think of e-mailing all those cute pictures to all the relatives on-line.
Seriously, though, for model photography, you really can't beat digital. Taking close ups is always tough, especially in tricky light. Strobes very quickly overexpose a subject and you won't know that until you've already paid for the print. Bracketing the exposure is fine if you are doing your own processing, not likely in color, though. FIlm is geared to specific light temperature, sunlight film will give you a yellow tint under incandescent, and green tint under flourescent light, though IIRC, Kodak may have a multipurpose film. Digitals usually have a white balance function built in, so you can take close ups under regular light bulbs and get great results.
 _GOTOTOP