_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Advice needed
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 754 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 12:40 AM UTC
Hi folks

I was just checking out one of the companys that addvertise on the big"A". A place called "HobbyTerra. com". The site says they carry manufacturers from the former USSR. The selection appears pretty good, and the prices in a word CHEAP. Most of the kits I saw were under $20 USD. That was for 1/35th scale stuff. They also had a wide selection of braile scale.
Ok after that long winded introduction the reason for this post is I have a couple of questions. First has anyone ever ordered from them? If you did, how did it go ? Was the wait real long, order complete etc ? Lastly, how are kits from companys ike ICM, Alan, and the other companies from the former USSR ? I know the prices are cheap, but a deal is only a deal if the kits are buildable.

Thanks
Wolfsix
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:07 AM UTC
geez those prices are very good there was a couple kits of tracks only 2.95 if i recall! i'd like to know how they are before i order, those prices are just to good to be true.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:31 AM UTC
I own a few kits from Alan (generally pretty good), ICM (good), Eastern Express and some others. They are about the level of Italeri. Dragon even reboxes several Alan kits in their own boxes like the Panzer II DAK.
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
entire network: 705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:34 AM UTC
I haven't hordered from Hobby Terra but on numerous occasions dealed with East European kits. Most of them are buildable and offer good detail. They will require more work than your Tamiyas and Academys - filling, sanding, correcting... I find these kits are good for the value and the work required adds to the fun of modeling! The companies I like are ICM and Skif, they offer models that nobody else makes. Also, the lower hulls and truck cabs are usually "flat", meaning you have to assemble the sides and floor.
 _GOTOTOP