_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What kits should I bring with me?
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2002 - 02:25 AM UTC
I'm going away for 4 months to school. I am assuming that I will have most evenings free after doing some homework. The same thing with weekends since I will have no yard work, "Honey Do" list and other parental duties. I know I won't be able to bring my airbrush/compressor, but I will still have some quality time to build. For short trips (less than 2 weeks), I usually bring a TDY kit which is some small kit that I can finish in a few hours (Revell-Monogram ProFinish kits were great for this) or some track links that I need to clean up for a larger project. But because of the amount of time, I will bring my modeling tool box and a couple of kits.

A couple of new Tamiya kits that look great OOB? I have the new Panzer IIIJ, Leo 2A5, JS3, Centaur, new Jeep, new Schwimmwagen, Japanese Type 90, 6X6 Cargo, some old Tamiya standbys like the M113A1, M106A1, M577, T-62, Walker Bulldog, M36 Jackson, M3 Lee, Grant, Matilda, some medium aged kits that are still good like M2A2, M2, M151A2, M151A2 TOW, M1A1, Challenger Mk III, LVTP7A1, M60A3, M60A1w/ERA.

Looking for any advice from your travelling builders like Chad (General Zod). Remember, I will have limited model building resources at hand (no airbrush means no elaborate camo patterns, unless I try them by hand). Would like to keep the need to use spray cans to a minimum, so I will attempt to prime the kits before I go.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2002 - 04:53 AM UTC
Sabot - i also travel quite a bit... I have never felt comfortable working on large pieces (armor, aircraft, etc.) unless i would be driving.... so I typically bring lots of 1:35 figures. I purchased a plastic sectioned box for figures which i wrap in tissue while travling, and have another box for my paints, glue, and "!!!) my Xacto blades. Yes - i take them on the airline. Sine the Xray machine takes a "top-down" view, I found that taping the blades to the side of the plastic case makes them basically "invisible" when I carry them on the plane. I also take things like resin fuel drums, crates, tree stumps, etc. to break up the monotony of doing just figures. Once I return, then I have a nice selection of figure ready for use with the dioramas and armor pieces I build.
Sabot
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2002 - 08:57 AM UTC
I'm driving my Ford Focus sedan down there. Will have various uniforms (Greens, BDUs), civvies, lap top & printer, model stuff. I'll be coming home on longer weekends and most definitely on the Thanksgiving weekend.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2002 - 09:46 AM UTC
Rob,
i'm away from home right now at a course and brought along several kits at the basic assembly stages of development

1/72 Macross Valkyrie
1/72 Italeri Su25 (slammer)
1/35 ADV azimut M113 w 23mm.

I figure I'll just do basic assemblies on all of the above, and save the final construction and painting for when I get home.

not sure if I'm going to get much time to build, but we'll see..

Mike
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2002 - 02:03 PM UTC
Why don't you take some figures don't need to many paints and you can catch up on filling some of those AFVs.

Josh weingarten
aKa shiryon :-)
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 10:51 PM UTC
Is your compressor too big and/or noisy? On several trips 7 weeks up to four months at Ft. Benning I took my CO2 bottle and air brush. But I also have a pickup truck. On shorter trips I took some small kits, most required conversion, differnt version of the old Vickers 6-tonner. I Spent most of my time cutting, filling and sanding, not much major painting.
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 11:35 PM UTC
No, it's a smaller Testors/Aztek compressor. I just don't want to be spraying in the guest rooms at Ft. Lee.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,745 Posts
KitMaker Network: 221 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 12:01 AM UTC
Rob,

I would suggest taking the Centur down with you, but the only problem with it is that if you build OOB it should only take you one day or so to put the whole thing together. I started my Cromwell on a Sunday Afternoon and it was totally put togheter by 9pm that same night. Great kit though

sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 01:32 AM UTC
I guess I'd bring a lot of books to try and catch-up on my reading and get some new ideas for models I'd like to build!

Maybe bring some small stuff like a bunch of resin or etch .50's and build up a stock for later use! Easy to pack away.

Or, if you do metal tracks, you could bring a few sets. That's time consuming and if anyone asks what you are doing you can say you are making some new funky jewlery for the punk rock crowd.

Steve
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 09:08 PM UTC
Here's the short list I made for my trip:
Tamiya JS3 Stalin with Aber PE and Jordi Rubio barrel
Tamiya Willys Jeep (new) with Custom Dioramas PE
AFV Club M-10 Wolverine with AFV Club PE
Skybow M38A1C or BEEP

I'm trying to stick to monotone schemes with some PE and something that can be weathered at a later date. I might chuck a couple of other kits into the mix like a DML BTR-70 w/Eduard PE or the Tamiya Centaur. I have a Testors "airbrush system" that came with a 1/48 scale F-22 Raptor. It uses acrylics and canned air that I have kicking around. I may try bringing that. Space isn't as much of an issue as being able to operate in a hotel room/efficiency apartment type environment.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2002 - 09:59 AM UTC
Rob,I usually have 3 or 4 kits in my bunk area in my truck I can pretty much do any kind of model building whenever I find the time As far as airbrushing,I use the air supply off of the truck If it's too cold/hot or raining out,I use a bottle of propelant I use a bunch of newspaper and lay that all over the place I also bought a repirator in case I do spray inside my truck There is some oversray,but I hace some foam cleaner that I use to clean up with I only use acrylics I would reccommened taking along any indy links that you may have I usually do them if its gonna take more than 2 hrs to get loaded or unloaded Belive me it resolves the boredom
Chad
 _GOTOTOP