_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: KitMaker USA
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
North Atlanta, GA?
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,189 Posts
KitMaker Network: 343 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2004 - 09:01 PM UTC
Just moved to Lawrenceville, GA from Indianapolis. Have found a "local" hobby store (Hobby Town USA about 15 miles from home). Anyone else up and around here?
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 393 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 05:56 AM UTC
Try AAA Hobby Supply at 1474 Roswell Rd in Marietta. Phone #770-973-5666. Owner is James Corley and his sidekick is Rusty. AAA is a full service hobby shop for the plastic or resin modeler with armor, aircraft, ships, figures, diorama and other supplies. Not only will you like it, but you'll find they have a far greater range of products than Hobbytown and, as an added bonus, Rusty can find just about anything you want. It is one of the very few "real" modeling shops left in the US and the only one in GA. Welcome to God's real country, the Great State of Georgia.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 09:10 AM UTC
Hi Woodstock74,
Welcome to "Hotlanta" (literally at this time of the year ). I agree with Spuds, AAA is a great store, but it's also a little bit of a drive for you. A little bit closer is the Warroom which is just down I-85, off of Indian Trail. They have a very good selection of kits, reference material, finishing supplies and some aftermarket goodies. They can special order some stuff but not like AAA. Every Wednesday night the IPMS Northmen meet there also. The last Wednesday of every month is build night, (this Wednesday) we've been having demos on the 2nd Wednesday the last few months, but that has slowed a little. The other nights we just come around and some of the guys will bring stuff they are working on or have finished to show to the group, and we will hang around and shoot the bull. The group is a pretty good mix of different types of modelers. (I'm one of the resident treadheads myself) We usually get together about 7-7:30 and then about 9:00 or so some of the guys go grab a bite to eat at one of the local Mexican restaurants. We are very layed back, if you get a chance come on by. Hope I wasn't too long-winded.

Cheers,
Mike

I forgot, here is the ph # for The Warroom if you're interested 770-729-9588.
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,189 Posts
KitMaker Network: 343 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 09:32 AM UTC
Thanks Tom and Mike,

I'll have to check out AAA, but it is a bit of a drive (45+ mins). But it sounds like it is worth it.

What is the Warroom's address? I don't know if I have time to dedicate to a group though I would like to check it out (just became a dad last week and suffice to say mom won't be too happy with me running off...). But it would be nice to get feed back on what I've done so far and I'd like to maybe make it to a IPMS meeting later in the year when things ligthen up.

My primary interest are 1/24 scale sportscars but my secondary interest is 1/35 armor (mainly WWII, though really anything that catches my interest). I've never actually finished an armor kit as my 1/24s pull me away...you know how it goes, too many kits, too little time...For 4 years I lived in Indianapolis and would make a yearly trip down to the Patton Museum in Fort Knox, KY. That resparked the interest in armor that was present when I was younger. Got some good photos of many of the tanks on display there and they sit as reference for that day when I get to the relevant kit (man those T34's turret castings are rough).
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 11:38 AM UTC
Mike,
Here is the address:
2055-G Beaver Ruin Road
Norcross, Georgia 30071

They also have a web-site with a small map and directions from different parts of the city, here is a link:

http://www.thewarroom.com/directions.html
The grocery store it is next to is no longer a Winn Dixie. (I can't remember the new name) but The Warroom is easy enough to see. Congratulations on the new addition to the family, I can imagine that things have gotten a "little" busy . Like I said above we're there every Wednesday night so maybe when things slow down a bit you'll have chance to drop by some time. Also despite the name the Warroom does have a nice selection of car models, so check it out when you have a chance.

Mike
Hiram_Sedai
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 201 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 11:49 AM UTC
First time I've seen this thread.

I've been settling with Hobby Lobby as my source for models.

I live in Newnan, GA and was thinking about visiting AAA Hobby Supply.
 _GOTOTOP