Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Air Forece interests
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 63 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 10:36 PM UTC
I have been looking up stuff on the air force. Can anybody give me information on it? Requirements for the airforce would be good. I am interested in piloting... more specifically fighters. But any pilot may do.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 11:34 PM UTC
I would suggest looking into the Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs. Write to your Congressman to see if he will nominate you for a slot. Also check for any 4 year colleges and universities that have AF ROTC. Need to be an officer to fly fighters, or any other planes for that matter. There are several ways to become an officer, Service Academy (West Point, Annapolis, AFA), ROTC, OCS. Go to the USAF website for more info.

FYI fighter piloting is a highly competitive career field. Superb physical fitness is mandatory. I've seen some of those guys in the gym, studs. I spent the majority of my school age playing football, running track and wrestled for almost 10 years by the time I graduated high school. I even went to college on a wrestling scholarship, wrestled on an Army team in Germany and still run over 20 miles a week to this day (did 6 miles this morning). I'm no slouch, but I wasn't close to where those guys are.
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 498 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 11:42 PM UTC
As an Officer Candidate Recruiter for the Navy, SABOT put it right on the money! The only things I can add are, stay out of trouble, away from drugs and alcohol, and study, study, study. A high GPA goes along way in getting you where you want to be. The services look for a "Whole Person" concept. I'll respond off forum if you need more info. Good Luck!!
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2002 - 02:11 AM UTC
OK, but what about after college at some other school?
Sabot
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2002 - 02:35 AM UTC
If you already have a degree, then OCS (Officer Candidate School) is your only option (think Richard Gere in Officer & a Gentleman). Of course it is not like that in real life, but you have to go through a commissioning process to become an officer. Then you have to qualify for flight school. When in flight school, they make the determination of what type of craft you fly. You just don't enlist to be a fighter pilot.

Go to this site: http://www.af.mil/careers/ and on the right side will put you in touch with Officer Accessions links. Here is their Officer Training School Site: http://ots.afoats.af.mil/24ts/BOT.html
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2002 - 03:33 AM UTC
how does GPA figure into it after college? and does the college need to be accredited?
Sabot
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2002 - 03:52 AM UTC
Did you click on the second link in the above post? Do so and go to the "Applying to OTS" link. The top of the page talks about college/university accreditation requirements. Although it doesn't say anything about GPA, it is like applying for a job. Better the GPA (4.0 vs 2.0) the better your chances are for success (and getting the options you want). Here is an excerpt from the site.

Quoted Text

The following items must be submitted with your application:

(1) Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. The degree awarded and date of graduation must be shown on the transcript. If you are a senior within 270 days of graduation, you will be required to provide a certificate authenticated by the school, showing expected date of graduation, type of degree to be awarded, grade point average, and major subject. Your recruiter can assist you in this matter.
(2) Documents verifying your date of birth and US citizenship.
(3) AFOQT scores.
(4) Physical examination results.
(5) All requested forms filled out completely.

You will be held responsible for the accuracy of all entries on your enlistment forms. Disqualifying information discovered after enlistment can result in discharge under less than honorable conditions." (AETCPAM 36-2003)

It goes on to say:
Quoted Text

Selection Criteria
A board of senior Air Force officers at Headquarters Air Force Recruiting Service will review your application. Selection is competitive and based on your desires, qualifications (such as aeronautical ratings, type bachelors or masters degree, or civilian or military specialty skills), and specific Air Force manpower needs. Each applicant is evaluated for character, academic accomplishments, community service, and leadership potential.

OTS is not easy to get into. If you truly want to become an Air Force Officer, it will call for hard work and determination.

The site also directs you to contact your nearest Air Force recruiter to get the real deal.
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2002 - 04:22 AM UTC
yeah, I looked at the site after I sent you my question. thanks for the info. It should help me in my decision making.