Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Another history recorder bites the dust
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 05:10 AM UTC
Carl Mydans passed away on Monday at the age of 97.
Many may wonder who this man was, well he was the guy who took the photos for Life magazine, one of the first 5 hired, and spent his life photographing the 20th century. Famous for his photos of the "Great Depression" and the dust bowl, Gen MacArther wading ashore on his return to the Phillipines in 1944, French women with their heads shaved for "collaboration" with the Nazis, Japan surrender aboard the USS Missouri.
He pioneered photo-journalism, and was one of the first to use the 35mm camera, born in Boston 1907, he develpoed the habit of always carrying his camera early in life. He met his wife in 1938, and they became Life's first word and picture reporting team just as war broke out, covering the London Blitz, the Soviet-Finnish "winter-war" and the fall of France.
In 1941 he was sent to China, stopping at Pearl Harbor to photograph the US fleet, on December 7, 1941, he and his wife were in Manilla, and taken as prisoners by the Japanese. He was offered his freedom if he would take photos for the Japanese but refused, and spent 22 months as a POW in Manilla, and later in Shanghai. In 1943 he and his wife were repatriated in a prisoner exchange.
He and his wife returned to covering the war, covering the Allied invasion in Italy and France, and the recapture of the Phillipines, including the liberation of the Santo Tomas camp, where he was held prisoner. He covered the occupation of Japan, and was there for the 1948 Fukui earthquake that killed nearly 4,000 people. His photo of the building leaning like the tower of Pisa became the disaster's signature image.

Carl seems to have lead a rather interesting life, and a lot of the photos we use as reference were taken by him. The end of the war didn't end his career, as he continued taking photos throughout the post war, Korea, and cold war.
His photographs will continue to live on, and educate us for many years to come.

So when yous guys (that Jouisey for you guys) are perusing through those photos, many without the photocredits, there are probably quite a few taken by Carl Mydans

Rest in peace Carl, and thanks for the photos.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 06:13 AM UTC
Thanks for all those great shots Carl! May they continue to educate.

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 06:46 AM UTC
Howdy Dave,

I've been aware of Carl Mydan's photographic accomplishment's since I was both a young (almost prepubescent) history buff, and a photographer on my high school yearbook staff(which was a loooooong time ago).
I will refrain from my own input on his contributions since you have done such a stellar job of capsulating his expansive career, and his non sought after, colourful life.

Many thx for taking the time to both honour the man, and, to do it so well.

Tread.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 06:54 AM UTC
Thanks, but I'm really not that great a writer, or creative in writing, basicly I just paraphased and condensed the obit written by Associated Press (Richard Pyle)
But figured that some of the youngin's here probably never read the obits' or heard of Carl or even Life magazine, and he certainly had an interesting career, and left so many outstanding photos. And where else should he be remembered more than where his photos are used the most.