_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Union Jack Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Bovington Tanks museum and the area.
Whisky-Delta
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 02:31 AM UTC
If there are some other keen tank fans out there like me then if you havnt already, a visit to the bovington tank musuem is a must see. It is situated near weymouth, dorset on the south coast. The web address is http://www.tankmuseum.co.uk. It boasts the largest collection of armoured vehicles in the world from the first every tank (little willie) to the latest challenger 2. Also a new part to the new museum is a reconditioned tiger early version...full size, fully painet and fully working. Their are free tank displays every tuesday and thursday at noon which gives you a breif understanding of tanks and how they are used. The museum is amazing and will take an entire day 9 till 5 to see everything in the building. As well as the museum bovington is the home of the british tank corp and training. Next door to the museum (literly) is manouevering ground, whereby there are many veiwing araes to watch vehicles like the spartan, warrior, as90 and chalenger roaring around and over knife edges. The best idea is to phone up the guard house and ask when the ground is most active. I hope this post will tempt you to a holiday down south as it is a great area as a hole, easily can spend 3 weeks their.

thanks for reading
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 02:51 AM UTC
Went there today with the family - 220 mile round trip but worth it. Didn't get as much time as I would have liked as the kids got bored and became more interested in the restaurant (good food and not bad prices) and the gift shop. Did get an Academy Tiger with interior which may well end up made as the museums vehicle (don't have to zimmerit that one!)

Wish I lived closer, would be great to work there!
Whisky-Delta
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 05:35 AM UTC
the best expierience i wittnessed at dorset was when we went up to lulworth cove (sp) and before health and safety got involved there was a viewing area just a few meters away from a live fireing platoform into the bay.

WHAT AN EXPIENRIENCE!

but like most thing health and safety ruined it and closed down the veiwing area...but im glad i got the chance to feel the tremble as the mighly cannon of the challenger 2 let rip!

Once i got them sorted i shall post up all my digi photos i tok while in the museum
Whisky-Delta
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 12:52 AM UTC
Well here they are, all my good pictures taken of vehicles in the bovington tank museum. Just a few things first, these are my own images taken by my self, no redistribution should be made without my consent or used as your own work. Reference to me please. However if anyone wishes to have some of the images, full size around 2000 x 1000 pixel then PM me and i shall email the desired image to you. Faces are blanked out due to consent not being gained by people caught in the images. Thanks and enjoy!

Capt-Caveman
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 49 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 07:30 AM UTC
Great photos,
i wouldnt have bothered to cover there faces as in the Cromwell photo the bloke would have seen your trying to take a photo and should have moved

i was there on there Tankfest day and it was a great day, im planning on going back
AVRE165
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 181 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 05:04 AM UTC
hi

Bovington is sort of my second home. i was stationed there in the late 70's and return alot.

the tank museum has changed since i first went there in 1971 and now.

there is always some thing you missed or need. the muesum staff are really good. if you want to climb or see a vehicle in the reserve collection then aim to do it in the winter months when there is less people about.
but of course write to them first they will indevour to help.

but dont forget the

RE museum only few engineer vehicles.
Duxford
Mucklebropuogh collection,
East of England Tank Museum
IWM
Cobart collection.

this is just few
hope it helps ossie
 _GOTOTOP