_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Bending Brass Strips
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 12:16 AM UTC
What's the best tool to use to bend brass strips to make scratchbuilt parts like tool mounts?
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 12:28 AM UTC
Bryan,
There is a gadget out called "Fold and Hold" available at several on-line shops. For myself I use a single edge razor blade and needle nose pliers, or fingers.
Hold the part down flat on your bench, with the tip of your pliers at the place you wand to bend, slip the razor blade under the part and bend. This works for angles.
For round bends, you have to find a round object smaller in diameter than what you want to bend. Then work it arond with your fingers.
If you look in the jewelry making section of a craft store, you may find smooth flat nose pliers and round nose types also. HTH (hope this helps)
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 12:47 AM UTC
Thanks Ron.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 08:23 AM UTC
I never used it, but I´ve heard if you heat it a little it tends to bend and form easily.
HTH
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 08:34 AM UTC
You got that right Sprue. It's called annealing (benefits of a nuclear education...lol). But with the small thin stuff I'm talking about (perhaps I didn't make that clear) you wouldn't need to do that.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 08:51 AM UTC
I haven't done it for modeling yet, but I have built some fishing lures and there are some pliers made for this that are round and taper from thin to thick. You can make any size circular bend you want. for sharp angle bends I don't know what to tell you. I remember the pliers wheren't more than $10. Any place that sells fishing lure making supplies should have some.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 08:53 AM UTC
Thanks Drew, I'll have to look into that.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 04:51 AM UTC
The idea of looking into specialized tools like for jewelry or lure making is interesting. I'll remember that.
Problem is, after a few years of modeling this becomes a second nature. I can't see anything new without pondering on its possible use for scratchbuilding !

Jan
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 06:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bryan,
There is a gadget out called "Fold and Hold" available at several on-line shops. For myself I use a single edge razor blade and needle nose pliers, or fingers.
Hold the part down flat on your bench, with the tip of your pliers at the place you wand to bend, slip the razor blade under the part and bend. This works for angles.
For round bends, you have to find a round object smaller in diameter than what you want to bend. Then work it arond with your fingers.
If you look in the jewelry making section of a craft store, you may find smooth flat nose pliers and round nose types also. HTH (hope this helps)

I second Ron's post - the Hold and Fold works pretty nicely for me too...

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP