_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
SKIF models?
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
entire network: 6,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 276 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 07:33 PM UTC
Has anyone ever built a model made by SKIF? I just found a web store called hobbyterra.com where I can get them real cheap. But I don't want to end up with a kit that needs a couple of after-market kitas just to look presentable. Also, Im still pretty much a beginner and I don't want the headache of too much flash and poor fit and all that. As far as accuracy and leve of detail, I don't worry much about that. I just want a model that looks ok after it's done. I'm still in a practice-and-learn phase. I'd appreciate any input about these models so I don't end up wasting my money. Thanks.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 08:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Has anyone ever built a model made by SKIF? I just found a web store called hobbyterra.com where I can get them real cheap. But I don't want to end up with a kit that needs a couple of after-market kitas just to look presentable. Also, Im still pretty much a beginner and I don't want the headache of too much flash and poor fit and all that. As far as accuracy and leve of detail, I don't worry much about that. I just want a model that looks ok after it's done. I'm still in a practice-and-learn phase. I'd appreciate any input about these models so I don't end up wasting my money. Thanks.

For a much less stressful experience, place your hand flat on the table and bang on it with a hammer...

There are a couple of threads here on armorama regarding Skif kits.
General thoughts are that they make subjects that no one else makes (except for the T55) but that they need lots of help to really shine.

This is a case of getting what you pay for.

If you are looking for techniques practice, I'd go with cheaper older Tamiya or even Italeri kits. The price is about the same, and so is the quality.
The newer Tamiya modern armor kits are beautiful Type 90, the new Challenger, Leo 2A5 and 6, but they are not cheap.

That said, I have several partly built Skif kits on the shelf, but none that are finished.

Mike
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:37 PM UTC
I purchase some kits from Hobby Terra about 2 years ago without any problems. Still haven't had time to build them. Typical kit break down, hulls are muti-piece on the kits I got. You can see the part trees here;

http://www.salt6.com/temp_stuff.htm

Shado1
Visit this Community
Tochigi-ken, Japan / 日本
entire network: 211 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 12:04 AM UTC
I've only built one Skif kit (BMP-3), and while I was happy with the final results, I can't recommend the kit to beginners (or anybody who doesn't want to do a LOT of work). Tons of cleanup was necessary to take care of all the flash, mold lines, and ejector pin marks. Fit was very poor in some areas, requiring hours and hours of filling and sanding. Detail was inconsistent, or non-existant. Lots of things needed re-engineering or major adjustments, like the drive sprockets, suspension arms, and tracks. The instruction sheet was a pack of lies (extensive reference material was essential for this build).
Having said that, I enjoyed tackling all those problems (once I realized what I was up against and got over the initial shock of the kit's poor quality) and was quite satisfied with the finished product:

Bottom line: This kit was way too much difficult work to recommend to a beginning modeler. This kit may not, however, be representative of all Skif kits, so it would be good to hear some opinions on their other products.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
entire network: 6,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 276 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 12:53 AM UTC
Thanks for your in-depth reply. I have pretty much decided to stick to Tamiya and Academy models for the time being. I tried to start on a dragon (Soviet Shilka) and did not like the fit of the hull and everything else I've tackled so far. I'm just working on it to practice on its separate link tracks. I wonder if newer Dragon kits are better? I'd like to say this to any begining modeller out there. Stay away from this type of models cause they could very easily turn you off modelling! And I like that BMP in the picture. It's a good clean build. It must have taken a lot to get it to look like that!!
The_Swede
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
entire network: 327 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 04:18 AM UTC
A friend of mine, Erik Gustavsson has built the MT-LB as a Swedish pbv 401.
There is an article about it at his site Plastic Warfare.
http://www.plasticwarfare.com/articles/pbv401/index.asp

/Thord
Shado1
Visit this Community
Tochigi-ken, Japan / 日本
entire network: 211 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 10:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And I like that BMP in the picture. It's a good clean build. It must have taken a lot to get it to look like that!!

Thanks, Hisham. It sure wasn't easy, but it was (frustratingly) fun. Ten years ago it would have killed me!

I've built a few Dragon kits, but none can compare to the head-shaking disbelief and frustration of building this Skif kit.

But again, if you can get 'em together, they sure do look nice!
 _GOTOTOP