History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
US Army landings in PTO help
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 08:07 AM UTC
The picture shown is a cover box for a pc game. I am actually looking for a picture that was taken that has the soldiers shown in this pic. It is black and white and apparently it is of the Army, not the Marines. I believe it was taken sometime during the landings at Bouganville or Tarawa. I have definatly seen a actual picture of this, but I cant find it. Its just of the soldiers in the water approaching an island. Does anyone know anything about it?

War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 10:24 AM UTC
If it's army, then it's not Tarawa, since that was a wholly Marine operation (landwise, that is). If my encyclopedia of American history is correct, the picture was taken during the invasion of Makin Atoll. Can't be certain if the caption is correct, but the photo is a dead wringer.

Edit: The picture of the invasion of Makin Atoll shows troops of the 27th Infantry Division's 165th Infantry Regiment, which had been reinforced by the 3rd Battalion of the 105th Infantry Regiment. The photo and history of the operation can be found at the following site:

http://www.hourigan.com/69thny/makin.htm

Hope this helps!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 11:23 PM UTC
Ed-- For the sake of clarity. The island of Betio is located along with Makin Island in the Tarawa Atoll. The Marines seized Betio (code named Helen) in November of 1943. The Army seized Makin Island at the same time. The Marine battle was given the name Tarawa. But, technically speaking, the Marines seized Betio and the Army was involved in the Tarawa operation. Numerous great books on it. The latest and in MHO the best is Joseph Alexnader's "Utmost Savagery, The Three Days of Tarawa."
DJ
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:14 AM UTC
DJ, both of those books contain contain information from the Amry operations correct? If so I may have to pick those up after AIT, at least so I can have some reading material if I get deployed lol
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 11:57 PM UTC
Zach-- both books contain information on the actions of the 27th Infantry Division which also took part in numerous landings with the Marines as did the 7th Infantry Division. Try to use the Fort Campbell Post Library. I believe the headquarters of your regiment is located just across the street (41A) from the Main Gate of Campbell.
DJ
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2004 - 05:12 AM UTC
I'll have to use the library over at Knox. Wont be able to hit Campbell till Im done with AIT.
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2004 - 10:15 AM UTC
Makin atoll is roughly 100 miles north of Tarawa. They are NOT two islands in the same atoll. Tarawa's primary island is Betio, while Makin's main island is Butaritari. The site I provided a link to explains this, and an atlas will back this up.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2004 - 08:41 PM UTC
Ed-- thank you for clarifying the geography.
DJ