_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Wheel Mask Question
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:28 AM UTC
I have seen in a catolog something called wheel masks.

What are they used for I have never heard anything about them and there are a lot of kinds to choose from.

I was going to buy one but I didn't want to buy something I didn't know what it is.

Thanks
Happy Modeling
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:59 AM UTC
Tom,
a waste of money over they are £5.50 for a set of VLS t-34 wheel masks. they are used so that you don't get the paint for the tire/rim on each other. If you go to a stationary store ect buy your self a circle template that covers a few different sizes. You can then spray the full wheel the colour you want for your tire this can be used as a pre-shade/primer for your rim then take the template place it over the size that matches the im and spray away a nice neat job and the template will last a life time for very little outlay of £2 or under
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 06:57 PM UTC
Now I paint with a brush, and the main thing that stopped me was fear of messing up. Well I knew the oven cleaner took it off before so I finally got over my fear.

I went from doing a couple a day to doing 30 in just minutes by holding the brush next to the rim, and let your other hand spin the tire with a pencil or something thru the hole in the rim.

This way your hand is steady on the table, and the tire is steady on the table.
After I got better I just done it witout a pencil holding it, I just spun the tire by hand, and I was amazed how fast I could do them without going over the line.
It was just getting rid of the fear of going over the line for me. I hope this can help someone
Straightedge
Hut
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
entire network: 285 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 07:07 PM UTC
As davy said: don't waste money, try this

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2001/02/stuff_eng_tech_masking_wheels.htm

_GOTOTOP