_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Homemade tools
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 02:03 PM UTC
I know there have been many threads with things you wouldn't think to use as tools, but i was wondering what things you have actually made to help yourself in modeling. It could also be a combo. I just want to see what I can learn from the more experienced ones, thanks.
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 07:22 PM UTC
The only real "home-made" tool I use is a probe that was fashioned out of a straight pin and a wooden Q-tip.

Must admit, I like the feel of machined parts sitting in your hands. One of the reasons I have some ten different knives (all sized) near my work area.

Dave
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 07:45 PM UTC
I took an old 'flex' lamp, the two arm kind and fashioned a 'painting crane'. I removed the electrical elements and tied fishing line to where the light bulb used to be. The fishing line is made into large loops. Then at the bottom of the loop I took old N gauge railroad bedding cork and attached it to act as a 'pad'.
I use it to hold my kits when I air brush them and there is not good hand hold spot. It hold the kit up off the table and you can spin/turn/angle to your hearts content and get free access to any part of the kit for a nice clean paint angle.
I mainly use it for air craft but it's only limited by your imagination.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 09:01 PM UTC
I took some K and S brass angle pieces and glued one to the jaws of my bench vise.

Now I can fold long etched pieces, like Panther fenders, easily.

A second, thick straight piece laid along the part to be bent and folded downward makes for clean easy long straignt bends.

Mike
Abrams101
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 146 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2002 - 05:45 AM UTC
Well before i got a woodburning tool I used a comb for zimmerit, And then I made a better tool with a wide sproket with a piece of bent coat hanger through it for a handle.
I also use a coat hanger like large pliers to hold my subject while i paint it, But i just saw the painting crane idea and i think i'll make one tonight.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 12:40 AM UTC
I make my own sanding stick's.
I put an article in the tips section.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/24

- ralph
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 01:51 AM UTC
Screaming Eagle, I have just tried making some of your sanding sticks, and I must say, thus far I am happy with the results.
 _GOTOTOP