_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
PE Tools or Resin tools
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 08:44 AM UTC
I seen in some catologs that there are some tools for PE. I was going to buy them but I would like to find out if there worth it.

I got a VP .50 cal set and the PE is tiny. I tried to cut out some of the parts with a hobby knife and they broke so I stopped and was trying to find out if there was any tools that help.

I have used PE before but the small stuff like this no. I got some extra money so I though before I go into a major resin & PE kit I would ask if there's any special tools.

Thanks
Happy Modeling
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 09:00 AM UTC
there are PE cutters availiable similar to sprue cutters for plastic but they are expensive.

I use a sharp curved blade (#23) on a ceramic tile and just roll the blade over the PE sprue line. I then trim it closer if need be with this and finish with a fine needle file.

to bend the PE I use a flat steel rule and a one sided razor blade. I would love a PE folder but once again as I do not use a lot of it now it is uneconomical for me to part out the cash. However if I had money to spare this tool is what I would buy. My preference being the 'Hold & Fold' brand.

For resin the only extra tool I have is a razor saw. This comes in handy for trimming the casting blocks off. Other then that my plastic tools do as good a job on resin as they do on plastic.

Hope this helps
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 04:52 PM UTC
I agree at 100% to what Mr. Roo said. I've got a PE folder and in my view is a waste of money. I hardly use it and 99% of PE an be bent using Cliff's method or with the help of a flat noze plier that you can buy at any hardware store. To cut PE i've got a tool meant to cut the excess of wire left after soldering electronic components. Once you get used to it you cut your PE almost perfectly and without any need for filing. You can find it at electronic components shops for a few bucks.
For resin the sama as Mr. Roo here.
Ciao
 _GOTOTOP