_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Are these decent tools?
dsmith
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 03:01 AM UTC
I needed to buy some new tools, especially a drill press, and I was wondering if anybody could give me an opinion. If you know of anything that would be better, I would like to know about that as well. I just don't want to spend a lot of money on a piece of junk

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82959

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=15218

Thanks guys
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 03:36 AM UTC
Doug,

Why do you think you need a drill press? Will you be drilling through hard metal or plastic/resin/etc...? I have a machine shop at home and have never used the mill for drilling anything other than metal. If you are not going to be drilling metal I would recommend putting your dough elsewhere. Mi dos pesos.

Cody
dsmith
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 183 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 05:27 AM UTC
I will be drilling many different materials. The reason I want a drill dress, is because I can't drill a staight hole to save my life!
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 10:02 AM UTC
Hey dougles, how did the first model you ever build turn out? a plastic ruin most lickely, am i right? what about hte first time you used an AB go? what were the results, not so impressing am i right? nothing better than practice makes perfect so invest in a smaller tool that will cost less and practice on old models, things like that. might not be perfect the first few times, but you will get the hold of it. and if you still dont want, dont buy the big expensife stuff, go to like canadien tire, pick up an 80 dollar drill press and leave, thats alll you need, no high teck stuff with digital buttons etc.

Frank
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 10:54 AM UTC
I eyeball perpendicular by drilling in a small amount , turn the part 90 degrees and eyeball line it up straight, drill a bit more, turn 90 degrees, eyeball, drill more, after a few sightings the drill is going in pretty darn straight. Sure, I could go out to the machine shop and get nutzo but why bother - it's faster by hand and the results are 95% of what would occur in the shop.

Cody
 _GOTOTOP