_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Ropes,tow cables,straps,and weld seams
Abrams101
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 146 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 09:00 AM UTC
All in one material lead core troling line. That you can get at a fishing store. ( I got mine in the Tackle section in wallyworld.
*TOW CABLES AND ROPES- it looks great for either and it forms wicked good
*STRAPS-All you have to do is cut a length of the lead core,lay it out on somthing smooth and sturdy ( I used a metal ruler) and take your hobby knife and use it like a rolling pin and flatten it out. Then you can add more detail with your blade or pin vice like holes for the buckle, you can even make a buckle by folding the flattend lead over the end of the srap and crimp it with n.n.pliers
*WELD SEAMS- (This is a little more difficult due to the delicacy of lead.) You cut a lenth of lead and glue it to were the seam will be. due to the fact that lead melts very easily , you can either use a wood burning tool, soldering iron, or just heat the tip of your blade.
Starting at the top you'll want to push in and up very lightly, and continue this pattern untill youve copleted it.Becouse lead is so soft you could actualy try it without heating the knife first . I tried it and even that worked (Just not as fast).
This takes MUCH practice but when you got it down it looks mint.(I suggest like with any new technic practice on a peice of junk or anything made by academy first.
GODSPEED
Kaboom
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
entire network: 69 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 09:49 AM UTC
WOW! Great stuff. Just another of many products easily adapted to fit your modeling needs. Also cheaper than aftermarket stuff :-) :-).

Mark
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 07:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

All in one material lead core troling line. That you can get at a fishing store. ( I got mine in the Tackle section in wallyworld.
*TOW CABLES AND ROPES- it looks great for either and it forms wicked good
*STRAPS-All you have to do is cut a length of the lead core,lay it out on somthing smooth and sturdy ( I used a metal ruler) and take your hobby knife and use it like a rolling pin and flatten it out. Then you can add more detail with your blade or pin vice like holes for the buckle, you can even make a buckle by folding the flattend lead over the end of the srap and crimp it with n.n.pliers
*WELD SEAMS- (This is a little more difficult due to the delicacy of lead.) You cut a lenth of lead and glue it to were the seam will be. due to the fact that lead melts very easily , you can either use a wood burning tool, soldering iron, or just heat the tip of your blade.
Starting at the top you'll want to push in and up very lightly, and continue this pattern untill youve copleted it.Becouse lead is so soft you could actualy try it without heating the knife first . I tried it and even that worked (Just not as fast).
This takes MUCH practice but when you got it down it looks mint.(I suggest like with any new technic practice on a peice of junk or anything made by academy first.
GODSPEED

You might have put us on to something. I will check on this stuff. Have another one I was wondering about.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2002 - 06:33 AM UTC
But of course !!! I remember the stuff when I went fishing with my granddad when I was a kid. I never saw it again, but it must be perfect. I'm sure I can find it in the local shop with fishing gear. Why didn't I think of that
Thanks, Sully !
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2002 - 05:45 PM UTC
Looks good to me too but.........what the heck is it.... #:-)

I'll question Jan down here to explain to me in Dutch...Sorry.

Jan,

Klinkt goed, maar op basis van de beschrijving kan ik er geen touw aan vastknopen. Onder welke naar / beschrijving kennen wij dit spul in de lage landen ?

Danny
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2002 - 08:42 PM UTC
Damn Walmart out here don't have squat
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2002 - 09:22 PM UTC
I once priced the lead core wire and found it too high, So a good alternative is Picture hanging wire. ( For tow cables) But may have to try the lead core some time later. Anyway thanks for the tip.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 05:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll question Jan down here to explain to me in Dutch...Sorry.

Jazeker, het is een stuk loodblad (eerder een band van een paar cm breed en opgerold. Vissers kunnen het spul gebruiken om hun lijn mee te verzwaren. ik heb het ooit gezien als kind : het zat bij mijn opa zijn visgerief. Eigenlijk gewoon een blad lood. Dikker dan bij een wijnfles, maar wel een stuk dunner dan het loodblad dat je kan vinden voor dakwerken. Misschien moet ik eens een winkel opsnorren voor hengeltjes en dergelijke ?
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 12:10 AM UTC
Dank Jan.

van lead core troling line kon ik niet veel maken, maar nu jij het loodblad noemt (de eenvoud...) weet ik precies waar we het over hebben. Ik denk dat ik zelfs in m'n visset van weleer nog een stk heb liggen. Ik zal eens op zoek gaan.

Nogmaals dank !
Abrams101
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 01:10 AM UTC
We need a translater her , Were's anders when you need em'
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 08:26 AM UTC
It must be a European thing. None @ my Wallyworld either

Matt
Abrams101
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 08:11 AM UTC
Then just go to a fishing tackle store they'll surly have it , the sh@t is great.
 _GOTOTOP