_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: IPMS
Topics about IPMS (International Plastic Modeler's Society).
Anybody going to Phoenix?
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,437 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 12:56 AM UTC
Anybody going to the Nationals? What are you taking?

I am taking an armor diorama, a couple of figure vignettes, a Napoleonic figure, and an M1 tank. I don't expect to win anything, but who knows.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 01:13 AM UTC
My wife and I are driving to Phoenix early Wednesday morning. Since there are an unlimited number of entries included in the registration fee - I'm taking along eleven models. I'm looking forward to a fun (and likely hot) time at the Nationals hooking up with old friends...

Gunnie
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 03:08 AM UTC
It would be fun to attend a 'Nats' at some point. You're going to need grit to be in Phoenix at the hight of summer.

Will there be 'live' coverage available here at the forum. In a pair of other forums(non-model) to which I belong the two big events of the year are reported on live with photos posted in the forums. It's all very fun and appreciated.

Cody
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 03:13 AM UTC
ME! ME! I 'll be there. Have 3 figs in 54, a vignette, a bust, a mounted 54mm fig and a sci fi fig. I'm supposed to arrive noonish on Thursday and leave Sunday morning.
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 05:02 AM UTC
I'll be arriving Thursday night with my wife and in-laws and two golden retrievers! From Oregon! I don't know how we are going to fit all of this into a Jeep but we will figure it out. The one problem is my T-34 dio (it's in my gallery) and I have to build a special box so it is not damaged by the dogs, which they are all sharing the cargo space in the back. My wife did not realize how much space the box will take and she is getting chippy with me now. At least our luggage goes on the roof.

I would like to take the two knights that are in my gallery but they are metal figures. Kinda sucks since they are part of my latest works and my best painting. The mounted knight even won the best of show in a recent regional outing. Oh well. Maybe I can get to the So California figure shows one of these days.

Anyway, maybe I will get a chance to meet a few of you fellas and we can have a beer on Friday or Saturday. Look for a guy wearing a Pittsburgh shirt and/or a tattered green US Open hat.

Cheers
Neill
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 05:27 AM UTC
So are any of you taking your Digital Camera and Laptops for a "DAY-TO-DAY" coverage ofhe Show?

Armorama Reporters at Large...?

Unfortuately I have a Seminar to attend here in San Diego or I would be going.

ENJOY!!!!

John
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 06:07 AM UTC
I plan on taking both my digital camera and my computer. But it's a pain for me to get on the internet with my VPN connection. I was just planning on taking my computer to email my vacation photos to friends (Grand Canyon etc) and to check email at work. However, now that you mention it I may try to take some show photos and post them on Armorama. If I do they would be armor, dioaramas/vignettes, and figures. We'll see. Or can I email my photos to someone and they upload them to the internet?
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 223 Posts
KitMaker Network: 83 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 06:55 AM UTC
Hello Everyone
I'll be at the nats at least one of the days, its only
13 miles away. Im just coming to poke around
didnt have time to put anything togeather
to enter. But I'll be there.........
ponysoldier
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:24 AM UTC
I'll volunteer to accept emailed images and download em' onto the forum in a 'special' IPMS Nat's thread. I'd be more than happy to help out. This way the non-attendees(like me) would get to appreciate the eye candy. My email address is [email protected] . It's a high-speed cable so large images are not a problem. What say?

Cody
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would like to take the two knights that are in my gallery but they are metal figures. Kinda sucks since they are part of my latest works and my best painting. The mounted knight even won the best of show in a recent regional outing. Oh well. Maybe I can get to the So California figure shows one of these days.

Cheers

Metal figures are welcome at IPMS events. The current rules state:
"PLASTIC DEFINITION. For the National Contest, "Plastic" is "any thermoplastic or thermosetting polymer, resin, or other material that can be formed by heat, pressure, or vacuum-forming." This includes, but is not necessarily limited to, polystyrene, ABS plastic, celluloids, polyethylene, vinyls, epoxy and polyester resins, fiberglass, acetates, acrylics, nylon, other synthetic and monofilament fibers, and other plastic modeling compounds. Neoprene rubber is also defined as a plastic for this contest. Glazes and body putties (e.g., "Green Stuff") are not plastics; however, when used for filling seams, improving contours, creating unusual surfaces (e.g., "zimmerit" on armor), etc., they will be considered plastic.

COMPOSITION. The use of plastic as set forth above is encouraged; however, the use of other modeling materials is allowed as the builder sees fit. Judging standards of finish, attention to detail, and authenticity will be the same, regardless of the materials used.

So pack up you figures. In fact, figures have long been exempt from the non defunct 75% plastic rule.
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 09:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll volunteer to accept emailed images and download em' onto the forum in a 'special' IPMS Nat's thread. I'd be more than happy to help out. This way the non-attendees(like me) would get to appreciate the eye candy. My email address is [email protected] . It's a high-speed cable so large images are not a problem. What say?

Cody

Great. I'll try to send some photos Fri and see how that goes and we will go from there.
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 09:43 AM UTC
Things should go just fine. I'll be here.

Cody
Rattler
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 512 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 10:26 AM UTC
gonna try an be there. but wont be putting anything in as Me an the g/f are heading to El Paso for her dad's Bday.. and I said I was sneaking away for at least 1 day of the contest.. hehe

so who knows maybe I'll see some of ya there..

rjray
Visit this Community
entire network: 230 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 03:02 PM UTC
I'm actually already here, or at least in Mesa. My Mom lives here, so I've turned the trip into a full-week to visit family as well.

I have my laptop and my camera. Whether I can provide any day-to-day coverage depends on the quality (and presumed availability) of net access at my hotel. I didn't reserve in time to get the con hotel, so I'm going to be at the Hilton Suites about 2 miles away (and about $10/day cheaper! $40 over 4 days saved, going straight into some vendor's pocket!).

Randy
ladymodeller
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 14 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2004 - 04:54 AM UTC
I'll be up for some of the days, taking photos! Didn't finish my Cold War Diorama though, boo :^(
philp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 122 Posts
KitMaker Network: 42 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 03:03 PM UTC
All,
If you are interested in pics from the Convention, I have posted a little over 1300 pics on my site.
http://www.ipmsslc.com/photo/index.php?cat=16
 _GOTOTOP