_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
PE
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 08:12 AM UTC
I have a question. What is PE, I always read it when looking at the posts, and have to just skip that topic because I don't know what it is, so..........what is PE?
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 08:31 AM UTC
PE is photo-etch or photo etched metal that can be either bent, rolled or folded into a specific shape. the shapes are usually replacements for parts of a plastic kit that are either too hard to mold or is too thick or incorrect. PE is also used to make extra parts that enhance the overall model. The most common material is brass or aluminium (i think) in the case of Eduard .Check out Eduard's site for actual photos of the parts and take alook at their online instructions to understand how the parts are used. Eduard's URL should be under the links on this site.

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 08:41 AM UTC
thanks a lot Josh, now I get it.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 02:17 PM UTC
No problem, I reccomend starting with something ssmall like a jeep or other soft skin. IT gets addicting and leads to AMS but If you can afford it ,it takes your models a step up.

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon :-)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 02:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No problem, I reccomend starting with something ssmall like a jeep or other soft skin. IT gets addicting and leads to AMS but If you can afford it ,it takes your models a step up.

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon :-)

Totally agree, I have this serious AMS now, and I only been seriously doing PE for 3 months. But once you see what it can improve the look of your model, you will never look back.

But may I suggest that you need to really get yourself some decent tweezers, and blades before serious PE work. And if money allowed, also get that hold and fold thing from Small shop, and also a big task lamp with magnified glass build in. It will make PE work so much easier.

The_Swede
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
entire network: 327 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 06:25 PM UTC
I can agree with you that PE can enhance your model but it can also ruin it if you use all the PE parts.
I can't understand why Eduard keeps making items in PE that's supposed to be round like the .5 carrying handle or ammobelts.
Also some PE parts are not that accurate.
If you use your PE correct it can make wonders with your kit but don't go smack on every part without checking it for accuracy first.
Many times you can as easily make the part with plastic strips or pieces of rod etc.

Thord
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 760 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 08:32 PM UTC
I agree with The_Swede (sounds like a line from some bad movie or joke) :-). PE is great for replacing tie downs, clasps, engine screens, and parts that are too thick in plastic such as fenders, but it shouldn't be used for grab handles and other round parts. Grab handles should be made with wire.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 09:27 PM UTC
I agree as well wit de Swede(sorry couldn't help myself it does sound like a movie), But before I start giving someone the whole cruel world of PE Let him enjoy and learn how to use hte stuff. WE can burn out his brain cellls with more info than a CRAY could handle later on. BTW SAncho If you do a search for PE on this site you'll find some interesting threads including one on tools for PE that was discussed recently.

Josh WEingarten
aKa shiryon
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 09:19 AM UTC
I also agree with the Swede. :-)

For grab handle and things, that's where copper wires come to play.

Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 152 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 10:03 AM UTC
I was just checking out my eduard fireflyVc PE set and I'm wondering.....has anyone been able to actually make the PE .50 cal look good? If so, I'd like to see a pic of it.
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 10:50 AM UTC
Hey bros,

Need to throw my 2¢ into this conversation.

Yes, PE is wonderfull and a great ease to use once you get a "Hold-n-Fold" and learn how to solder.

But, as you sucumb to the dreaded AMS (Advance Modelers Syndrom), you will no doubt have to pay homage to other dreaded monster .. . .. . . . .. . The CARPET Monster!

#:-)

Later,
Dave
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 11:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey bros,

Need to throw my 2¢ into thsi conversation.

Yes, PE is wonderfull and a great ease to use once you get a "Hold-n-Fold" and learn how to solder.

But, as you sucumb to the dreaded AMS (Advance Modelers Syndrom), you will no doubt have to pay homage to other dreaded monster .. . .. . . . .. . [i]The CARPET Monster{/i]!

#:-)

Later,
Dave

The amount of talk we have here promoting the Hold and Fold, The Small Shop should pay us for advertisement. :-)

I live in HK now where it's hot and humid, so my living room is floored with marble stones, you think finding launched PE in carpet is hard? try look for this little shiny part in eaqually shiny floor surface. I mean this is really bad situation....

Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 11:50 AM UTC
thats all well and good, but what's a "hold'n'fold" or whatever you were saying?
cdave
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 12:17 PM UTC
sancho,

Go here The Small Shop

Enjoy!
Dave

PS: Dave we have equal fustration. The carpet is brown with gold highlights!
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 12:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

thats all well and good, but what's a "hold'n'fold" or whatever you were saying?

In a nut shell, it's a marble base (black color) with hard aluminum tools that are screwed on, so you can insert your little PE in at the folding line, and using the small folding blade that come with it to fold the PE to a straight angle. Supposely have a million other uses as the instruction said, but didn't really went through it though. HTH.

Dave, wow, same bad situation, maybe even worse.... Should really get that apron thing that Sabot had talked about a while back....
cdave
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 06:56 PM UTC
Dave,

Yes, I use an apron (dont recall Sbot thread), it just an old shirt.

But, the occasional homage I pay to the Carpet Monster is with great assistance from Mr. Tweezers! #:-)

Hence, I am damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Dave
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 11:13 PM UTC
My Hold 'n Fold is the 4" model and has a black aluminum metal base. The moveable part is made in a purple colored aluminum with a spring and black handle. Works to clamp down the PE part, then a blade is place under the part and you can bend it to the desired angle. There are a few cut outs of various shapes to help bend into other shapes.

Traditionally, the hardest thing to do with PE was bend the edges to make 90° angles and to bend some of the small parts into little metal boxes, all with nice, square corners. The HnF makes this easy.
mihaip
Visit this Community
Romania
entire network: 45 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 03:19 PM UTC
Hi folks

I'm looking for a "walthrough" for using PE parts including handling and glueing.
I am most interested in what types of glue/cement to use.

I will order my first PE set these days Hope i'll get a better model with those.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 06:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi folks

I'm looking for a "walthrough" for using PE parts including handling and glueing.
I am most interested in what types of glue/cement to use.

I will order my first PE set these days Hope i'll get a better model with those.

Try here: http://www.eduard.cz/info/colin.html
mihaip
Visit this Community
Romania
entire network: 45 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2002 - 01:46 AM UTC

Thanks migarand!

actually I know taht url, I was looking for smth else... or is that just enough info? ........
 _GOTOTOP