_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
About Tamiya Airbrush set
DinggoElite
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 38 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 - 12:35 PM UTC
Hey guys i need help....Can i ask from you ,what do you think about tamiya's airbrush set"sprayworks"the one with the plastic compressor. what can you guys say about it...is it a good buy?????,it will be my first airbrush since im in a tight budget ..heheheh,
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 - 03:16 PM UTC
Welcome to Armorama DinggoElite!

I don't have any firsthand experience with the Tamiya Sprayworks. Wait awhile and one of the guys or gals will give you a rundown.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 - 08:14 PM UTC
Welcome Dinggo! I don't know much about how it works or how good it is but from the feedbacks of my co-modelers, it is a nice piece of equipment.
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 492 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 - 09:36 PM UTC
Welcome aboard DinggoElite. I too don't have any experience with the Tamiya gizmo but just hang in there & I'm sure someone here would be able to give you feedback about your query.
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 - 09:38 PM UTC
Hi, Dinggo:

I can peronally vouch for the Tamiya Spray Works. I've been using it for 15 years and it has never let me down. A lot easy to use and maintain.

The price is worth it, besides, you've got a compressor to go with it.
BlackThor_06
Visit this Community
entire network: 200 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 - 09:54 PM UTC
I'm relatively new to airbrushing, and I have chosen the Tamiya Spray Work as my first airbrush.

Large camouflage patterns like the NATO 3-tone on the M1 Abrams tank (did a couple of 1/35s) isnt that much of a problem. It's best to read various tips and how-tos on using airbrushes; and to work on non-masterpiece kits first to practice your skill.

Maintenance and cleaning isn't hard at all - although I only use Acrylic paints.

Replacement/spare parts are available through Lil's.

Advice - dont place the compressor too close to your ear. Prolonged exposure gets to be really unpleasant, beleive me.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase - although its safe to say I haven't used any other brand or type so I really can't compare.

BT6

shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 - 10:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Advice - dont place the compressor too close to your ear. Prolonged exposure gets to be really unpleasant, beleive me.

Now why did you do that? :-)
sigman
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 6 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:41 PM UTC
I have one and its a good set for starters. compact, low noise and the airbrush is easy to clean. I vouch for it.
BlackThor_06
Visit this Community
entire network: 200 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 09:06 PM UTC
It was due to the layout of my workbench.

I was so eager to start using the Spray Work; I didnt consider the placement until well after my ears started aching.

BT6
CSMeekai
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 160 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 09:40 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Armorama, Dinggo!

andrew_o
Visit this Community
entire network: 39 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 10:32 AM UTC
Welcome DinggoElite.

I've been using the SprayWork system since it first came out in the Philippines -- one of the best modelling decisions I ever made. I've since upgraded the spray gun to a Tamiya HG. No blockages, no difficulties in cleaning up, takes both acrylics and local enamels. The chrome finish really stays clean -- you can scrape dried paint off.

The needle point, though fragile, stays true if you keep it inside the gun and you don't bang it about. Funny, I use a bent up needle as an all-around scribing tool and the point stays pointed (just bent).

Take care of the compressor, and use it as often as you can. The only problem I have is that it's old and one of the piston arms had come off its linkage ( a drop of super glue fixed that) and the seals are worn out, causing greasy moisture to enter the air line.

Anybody know where I can have it repaired?

Get one, Dinggo -- before prices rise again!

Andrew Oliveros
Fritz
Visit this Community
entire network: 495 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 01:24 PM UTC
I use the old Tamiya Sprayworks set. The VEERRYY noisy kind. It's not mine, but I tell you it's one tough machine. It's been working for my cousin and lately for me for at least 7 years. I could give you one tip though. The best way to maximize the low psi of the compressor is to KEEP YOUR AIRBRUSH CLEAN, clean as if a drop of paint never went through it. It's a tiring process yes, but it ensures a good spraywork.
DinggoElite
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 38 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 11:56 AM UTC
Guys .thanks so much for the welcome ....and all the info about the tamiya sprayworks...very helpfull..hehehe, ,i think ill probably buy one...
One more thing, how will I know that it is the new or the old model??(since one of you guys mentioned there's an old model which is very noisy),i dont want a very noisy airbrush....The one im looking at is priced at 5200 pesos ,is that the normal price????.anyways thanks again ,hoping to hear ur replies again soon...happy modeling
Fritz
Visit this Community
entire network: 495 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 01:27 PM UTC
The old one is out-of-production already. If you're buying that brand new in a hobby shop, don't worry it's the new one. BTW, you can ask for a test run in the shop if you're not sure. Good luck in your buy.
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
entire network: 292 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 10:04 PM UTC
I too vouch for the Sprayworks!

I got mine just last January and it has yet to fail me. Easy maintenance and all the spare parts --- not to mention the upgrades --- are available in Lil's.

Mine hasn't been used for some time though... I miss it na nga eh
sigman
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 6 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2004 - 02:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Guys .thanks so much for the welcome ....and all the info about the tamiya sprayworks...very helpfull..hehehe, ,i think ill probably buy one...
One more thing, how will I know that it is the new or the old model??(since one of you guys mentioned there's an old model which is very noisy),i dont want a very noisy airbrush....The one im looking at is priced at 5200 pesos ,is that the normal price????.anyways thanks again ,hoping to hear ur replies again soon...happy modeling

You can tell easily if its the old or newer version. the old one has a slim bodied compressor while the new one is stout. Hope this helps.
buck
Visit this Community
entire network: 437 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:28 PM UTC
Welcome aboard, DinggoElite! Glad to have you with us.

I agree with the posts here. I used the basic Spraywork set and its a fine piece of equipment. Given enough care the rig will last for years. And parts isnt a problem anymore. I believe Lils carries them.

You wont be able to get really fine lines with the airbrush although in the hands of an expert like Bigman it could probably be achieved.

The top feed system and the clear paint bottle also translates to paint economy. You can more or less guage the amount of paint you'll need and when youre almost done, you can finish the job with the paint left in the nozzle.

Just be careful with the thinners you use. Strong lacquer thinners may damage the plastic.

Hope this helps.
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 275 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 - 05:44 PM UTC
This is kinda late but...

Yes, I vouch for Tamiya Sprayworks. It's noisy but it's really tough.I had mine for 10 years and it has never caused any problems. The only things I have to replace is the O-ring between the needle and the side screw and a cracked paint cup. I had a replcement made through a machine shop.

I also had a bladesmith sharpen my needle. I think I did this twice since I had my airbrush.

The system is gravity fed which means that gravity pulls the paint down to the system. That means you won't have a problem in paint flow breaks.

By the way, I've been using lacquer paints as thinner for the base colors. It never marred the plastic and the rubber 8 ring found inside the airbrush. I think the plastic that Tamiya uses in the airbrush doesn't react to the solvent.

This is one of my best buys in life.

Angela
 _GOTOTOP