_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Scratchbuilding Perfect Circles Help
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2004 - 12:09 AM UTC
Ok guys, how to create perfect circles from styrene sheets? What materials to use? Any alternatives? The diameter is about less than .5 inch.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2004 - 12:14 AM UTC
I know Exacto does or use to make a "Circle Cutter". I never tried it, but i was thinking of takinga brass tube and sharpening the edge and using it as a puch to make circles.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2004 - 12:21 AM UTC
If you have a decent compass (not the 2 dollar one with the golf pencil stuck in it) cutting circles is pretty easy. Just put points in both legs of the compass, set your diameter and use the second point, where the lead would normally be, to scribe your circle in sheet styrene. You should be able to pop the circles right out. Done this several times.

HTH,

Shaun

Pete, I have used sharpened brass tubing as a punch to make styrene discs about 1/8th inch in diameter. Worked pretty well in thin sheet.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2004 - 01:11 AM UTC
Depending on the size of the circle and the thickness of the media to be cut I use both of the above mentioned systems...
Ciao
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2004 - 01:13 AM UTC
Ok thanks! Will do. Thanks for the tips!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2004 - 02:35 AM UTC
Well, once again being "Mr. CHEAP" .....
I've been using a plain old plastic circle template, goes from 1 inch down to 1/8 inch. I simply have a sharpened needle, cut very short, so there is no flexing of the needle clamped into an old exacto handle (the kind the is split into 1/4's.)
I simply allow the needle to follow the template and gently engrave the circle, eventually to cuts through the plastic card.

Keep the needle sharp, and straight up and down, and remeber that due to the shape of the needle it will cut the circle a tiny bit smaller than size of template hole.

Once you get the engraved line deep enough, you can simply follow through with a new #11 blade. I've been doing it this way for years, and end up with either the hole I want, or the disk I want. Light pressure, and letting the needle lightly scribe through the plastic card. I do card from .005 up to .20. Haven't had the need for any thicker, but probably would work, just taking a little longer.

I also use the same needle to act as a center punch when I need to drill holes.

Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2004 - 04:38 AM UTC
Depending on availability where you are, try collecting empty shell casings in various calibers and use them as punches.

Art
 _GOTOTOP