_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
I guess 9 3/4 aint bad...
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 12:43 PM UTC
I have't hurt myself building a model in quite some time, but tonight I guess I made up for it. While cutting open a plastic bottle I ended up cutting off the tip of my left middle finger. I'm just thankful that I had changed the blade and it was a quick , "clean" cut. Luckily my wife is a nurse practitioner and doctored me up good. It is hard as hell to type, I can tell you that, and the throbbing is unreal!! I briefly thought about using some CA to stop the leak around the sides of what was left, then decided better. Now I have to clean up all the blood off of the work bench. Looks like the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan. Be safe... lol "Q"
john17
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 920 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 01:19 PM UTC
Red4:

I feel your pain! Literally! I too in the not so distant past have impaled my right index finger with an xacto blade. However, I didn't cut the tip off. I decided to try and cut through the glue that was holding a figure to a temporary base. It went alot smoother than I thought it would and I ened up driving 1/2 of an xacto blade directly into the side of my finger at about Mach 3. There's still a bump where it healed funny.

If you would like, I could remove the bump and mail it to you as a replacement for the tip of your finger.

OK..now I've just grossed myself out.

I'll echo your warning to everyone as well

"BE SAFE"

John
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 04:48 PM UTC
Maybe we could get flitzer to make up a "purple heart" award for us.........LOL........
sniperwolf
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 86 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 01:15 PM UTC
nah, then everybody would have to get one. I once ruined the paint job of a subassembly with organic red. still a pretty mean scar on my right index. Badges of honor if you ask me
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 02:33 PM UTC
I bought a pagkage of X-acto blades one time for the B handle that were jinxed from the start, they had the sharpest points, I had ever seen on a blade.
I should of just pulled a new blade out and stuck myself, to get it over with, cause I just knew as soon as I put a new blade in, it was going to happen, and sure enough everyone, but one, stuck me out of that whole pack.

Straightedge
 _GOTOTOP