Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Military
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 63 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 09:58 PM UTC
For those of you who have read some of my topics know that I have been considering joining the military. I would like to hear from those of you who have been or are currently in the military. Give me your thoughts on it. Anything goes. I am open eared. Thanks.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 10:15 PM UTC
I served for ten years. The experiences, things I've seen, and the places I've been, I would have never experienced If I didn't enlist. One of the best decisions I have made in my life.
HTH
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 10:19 PM UTC
I served six years in the Air Force. Four years as a Security Policeman, and I crosstrained and served the last two as a Deployable Satellite Systems Operator attached to USAF Systems Command. It was some of the best years of my life - I recommend joining and taking advantage of all the military has to offer.

I've been out a little more than 10 years now - and I'm looking to go back into the Air Force Reserves and rejoin Space Command doing what I had been before leaving active duty.

Gunnie
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,745 Posts
KitMaker Network: 221 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 10:36 PM UTC
In all likelyhood your gonna hate it while your in, but afterwards you'll apprate all that you'll have done in that time and it opens up alot of doors that your normal civilian doesnt have open to them when it comes to Schooling or getting a VA loan on a house.

Awall
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 10:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In all likelyhood your gonna hate it while your in, but afterwards you'll apprate all that you'll have done in that time and it opens up alot of doors that your normal civilian doesnt have open to them when it comes to Schooling or getting a VA loan on a house.

So I take it you didn't like your experience while you were in?
I have hear from guys who were only "grunts" that their experiences weren't good. But then when I talk to people who have a more specialized venue, they seem much happier. Is the life of a normal infantryman that bad?
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 11:58 PM UTC
Awall: As a military person, No matter waht your field. You will always find something to complain about. Mostly the Old Hurry Up And Wait scenario. Which is prevelant to the military.. But as a person who is looking for a direction to go in with your life. You REALLY can not go wrong.. It is agreat way of life and as others have mentioned earlier. The chance to travel; and see the world is great.. Not to mention the many experiences that you will have
That is not very prevelant in the civilian world. Yes getting a spexcilaty is one of the best ways to go. BUT Either way. Make noe Mistake about it. Weather Army, Airforce, Navy, Or the Venerable MARINES. Primarilly thier goal and soul purpose is To Fight For and Defend our Nation and it's interest around the world. So it's not al;l going to be a picknick. Thier WILL BE things that you will not like about the military. And thier will also be things that you will love and never forget.Good or Bad. It is a great way of life and Will open ALOT of doors to you later should you choose to leave it to come back to the civilian world. YOU just have to decide if it is REALLY what you want or not.

DAGGER-1
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 12:36 AM UTC
OK, so what about family?
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 01:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What about family?
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 01:06 AM UTC
Like wife and kids. What is the impact on them?
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 01:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They probably would follow you around wherever you were stationed.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 01:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I served in both the Army National Guard as an enlisted man while in college (4 years) and in the Regular Army as an officer (15 years and counting). I didn't get married until after I completed my first active duty tour. When you are single, the Army is a great life and PCSs (transfers) are a piece of cake. Even when I married a woman with 3 kids, moving wasn't hard. The hard part was missing out on their childhood. While stationed with the famous 1st Cavalry Division in Texas as a junior captain, I went to work at about 5:30 AM and came home any where between 6:30 PM and 8:00 PM at night. The kids were asleep when I went to work and sometimes already in bed when I came home. It made it tough on the family life.

For most soldiers, officers and enlisted, the first few years are the hardest. It is best to be in for a few years before starting a family. As a young lieutenant in Germany, I spent the better part of a three year tour in the field, away from home for a month or two at a time. I used to wonder how the married lieutenants used to do it. The young enlisted couple too, since they didn't have nearly the amount of money junior officers did. Plus, it seems like they had kids earlier on.

Junior officer's wives tended to have already graduated college so they were older (22-23) than junior enlisted wives (18-20). The college degree helped them get gainful employment on or off post. I know one fellow company commander who's wife was a lawyer and made more than he did. Younger enlisted wives had just high school diplomas, usually already had a child and it was difficult for them to get a job that could cover day care costs. There were exceptions to this rule.

After 10 years of marriage, we now dread having to move again. I will have to move either next summer or the summer of 2004. Having a family with kids in school makes you adjust your PCSs to the summer when they are on summer vacation. As a single man, I could PCS whenever (my 3 out of my first 4 moves were around Christmastime). Plus as you get older, you acquire more "stuff", i.e. knick-knacks, furniture, models, children, so moves take more time and energy.

My advice, serve at least two tours, 3 years stateside and 3 years overseas (either order) to see what it's really like. I've had fun and done some neat things like whizzed on the ruins of Hitler's house, visited Patton's grave, spent my 26th birthday knocking down the Berlin Wall, commanded tanks on 3 continents and jumped out of perfectly good airplanes.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 01:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can only speak to what happened to me, and those around me. I'm sure there are probably worse, and not-as-bad experiences from other service members.

Family life was challenging - in both of the specialties I held. Deployment readiness and the like can be taxing on a young enlistee or officer's relationship(s) with family. The military is all for maintaining those bonds (Heaven help you if you go TDY and don't contact your family often - you won't like your First Sergeant much after that), but duty calls - 24-hours a day, seven days a week. In the Air Force, it was a cerebral game too - which meant keeping up on training - whenever and where ever you might be. The big difference is that in the military there is a support structure to aid you - where in civilian life you're on your own with a lot of things. Readiness means more than having your War Bag in the trunk, you've got personal and financial ethics to maintain too. The family becomes part of that Readiness package too - whether or not they want to. Sometimes, family members can resent that "drafting" into military life - and it manifests in all kinds of behavior. Each situation is different. It is something to seriously think about...

Gunnie
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 01:24 AM UTC
Seems like a lot to think about. Luckily for me, I don't have a girlfriend yet. They seem to come and go . If I do go into the military, I won't do it until after college, so I guess that'll make me a junior officer.
Another question, this is just curiosity: How fast can one expect to move up the ranks?
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The experiences, things I've seen, and the places I've been, I would have never experienced If I didn't enlist. One of the best decisions I have made in my life.

I fully second thisone
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 01:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Seems like a lot to think about. Luckily for me, I don't have a girlfriend yet. They seem to come and go . If I do go into the military, I won't do it until after college, so I guess that'll make me a junior officer.
Another question, this is just curiosity: How fast can one expect to move up the ranks?

It's not the girlfriend at home you've gotta be wary of - it's the young ladies training nearby that'll get 'ya into trouble...

How fast can you expect to move up in the ranks? In the Air Force - only as fast as the regulations allow. You'll have opportunity to go BTZ (Below The Zone - early testing opportunity for advanced rank placement) - but other than that, the Air Force wants you to serve the alloted amount of time for moving through the ranks. It is the experience that gives you the perspective to eventually become a leader - and the time gives you that chance to gain the experience. Unfortunately, most of the BTZ'ers I encountered were snot-nozed twits - who really could have gained a better sense of who and what they were by having spent that time skipped in rank.

Gunnie
CRYPTO1
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 18 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 01:32 AM UTC
As a former member of the USN my advice to you is to get all in writing (Rate/ MOS A school) also go in as an officer. It can be the best of times and the worst of times depending on your point of view. I personally had a blast especially since I knew what to expect ( I grew up ARMY). As far as your family is concerned military life is different and if your speciality is in a sensitive area it can be difficult since there are long periods of time where your away doing your duty. My advice to you is to not do it especially if you haven't prepared your family (Wife and Children) for a drastic change. Now on the other hand if your single it can be one heck of an adventure!

Cheers
Bruce :-)
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 01:39 AM UTC
I have been in the Reserves, enlisted and officer for nearly 22 years. I have met a lot of folks who really loved being in the service, and a number who didn't. The difference always seems to be the attitude of the individual. Those who were determined to be successful and enjoy their time, generally were, and did. Those who came in trying to 'get over' from the start, or who were willing to be negative and adversarial regarding Big Army usually didn't like it much. I have also observed that changing one's attitude in mid-stream (in either direction) changed the outcome and experience.

My advice is to accept that you will start out as a Private/2nd Lieutenant, and will have no rights. The path upwards is paved with enthusiasm, education, and doing a little more than what is asked. Seek out the special schools like Airborne, Air Assault, etc., and have fun doing them. Seek out chances to lead or be in charge of things, and do your best at whatever task you are assigned. Keep a positive attitude and avoid the soldiers who gripe, complain, avoid and generally try to do as little as possible. The Army (and all services) reward those who want to succeed and are willing to put in the work.

College, language schools, technical education, and lots of opportunities to do really cool things none of your non-military buddies ever will...it's all in there.

What sort of job interests you, and in what service? There are plenty of current and ex- servicemen here who would be happy to offer specific advice, based on what you actually want to do.
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 01:53 AM UTC
As an officer, they have been shortening the time spent in the lower ranks due to a shortage. Here is a rough timeline:
2LT to 1LT: 18 months (was 18, then 24, now back to 18)
1LT to Capt: 2 years (4 years total time in service)
Captain to Major: 8 to 10 years as a captain (12-14 yrs TIS)
Major to Lt.Col: 4-5 years
Lt.Col to Col.: another 4-5 years

The last 2 ranks depend on how well you are doing. A majority of an officer's career is spent as a captain. After your first assignment (3-4 years), you attend your 6 month advanced course at about the same time you make captain. You go to your second assignment as a junior captain and serve in a brigade/battalion staff position (around 2 yrs) until a company command opens up (usually a pecking order within a battalion or brigade until one is offered to you). You serve as a company commander for 1 1/2 to 2 years.

After successful completion of command, you become "branch qualified". Sometimes you do a follow on staff job, other times they move you as soon as you finish command. This depends on how much time on station you have (3-4 yrs and you'll be moved).

"BQ" captains are then sent to do one of the three "R's": Reserves, ROTC, or Recruiting.
Reserves means that you are assigned to an active component/reserve component (AC/RC) position and will end up working with USAR or ARNG units to help improve their readiness and training.
ROTC is being sent to the colleges and universities to be an ROTC instructor.
Recruiting is taking a company command of some recruiting company. This assignment is a maker or breaker. There is a saying of "Hero to Zero" within the recruiting world and it is not uncommon to go from being awarded one month for "meeting mission" (means you met you recruiting numbers) to being hammered the next for not meeting goals.

After the three Rs, you should be returning back to normal line units as a senior captain or a junior major. After making major, you will try to attend the Command and General Staff College at Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas. You can't become a BQ major or make lieutenant colonel without it. Most likely you will spend a few years in higher level staff jobs in a division or corps and fight your way down to a brigade or battalion. To become branch qualified as a major, you must get a job as a battalion XO or S-3 (operations officer) (Support Operations Officer or Material Officer for a logistics officer).

Then as a BQ major and when you make LTC, you will spend some time as a senior staff officer until a battalion command is offered to you. Very few LTCs will become battalion commanders. Those that don't, retire at 20+ as LTCs. Those that do may become a colonel with a chance to become a brigade commander, then make general officer and command a division, corps, army.
Chief
Visit this Community
entire network: 498 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 02:04 PM UTC
You have been given alot of great information from some very experienced people. Here's my .02...I joined the Navy just prior to my 21st B-Day. Actually turned 21 in Boot Camp. I joined to do 4 things; Travel, Money for College, Learn a Skill and get the heck out of Forks Washington. I had no intention of doing 20+ years. Why I stayed in was simple; I loved what I was doing, I was treated better in the military than in civl life, and the Beer. Just kidding about the beer. The Navy offered me $12,000.00 to re-enlist and gave me my choice of whatever school an Avionics Tech could qualify for. Thats how I became a Naval Aircrewman.
Staying in was the second best decision of my life, next to marrying my wife. She is the reason I am still in and I am a Chief Petty Officer looking to pick up Senior Chief or Warrant Officer next spring. She loves the Navy, and all it has done for us. I now have 19 1/2 years and chose not to retire in February but to stay in. I have spent time on a carrier (USS Enterprise), over 3000 flight hours in EC-130, EP-3, E-6A aircraft and am now a recruiter.
I have 2 young sons, whom were both pre-mature; Conor 12 weeks (who wasn't supposed to make it past the 3rd day and is now 5 1/2 years old), Camden 10 weeks. The Navy has paid all but $750.00 of the $375,000.00 in Medical Bills we have acrued. I keep all the tri-care recipts and add them up. That's why I stayed in. The benefits, the people, the travel. I am going on my 2nd overseas tour, Rota Spain was #1, this ones to Sigonella Sicily. We loved it in Europe. If you handed me a blank check and told me to add as many zeros as my heart desires, I'd hand it back to you still blank. I won't trade a minute of my service for anything. Sure, it hasn't been all fun and games. 119 degrees F on a flight deck in the Indian Ocean isn't pleasant. A 12 hour flight followed by 38 straight hours fixing your airplane with no rest cause you are in the middle of no-where and theres nobody else to do it isn't a way to spend your first anniversary either. Christmas on the 4th of January? Hey the day of the year don't matter. The fact I could spend it with my wife and kids is what counted. Some of the schools were extremely challenging, Electronic Warefare School was 18 hours a day 6 days a week for 3 months (only cause I are a rock and needed the study time). SERE school SUCKED, nuff said!
But the sun set in Bermuda is a sight to behold! Watching Mt. Aetna erupt and seeing the Space Shuttle take off while you are at 27,000 feet was cool! 26 Foreign countries and 48 US States. Been there, done that and got the t-shirt and pocket change to prove it. Being able to buy Cuban Cigars dirt cheap is a bonus too! And did I mention the Beer?
What I'm trying to say is, all Branches of the service have something to offer. Its not what happens to you that matters, its how you react to what happens to you that does. Attitude is everything. Do your homework and check them ALL out before you make your decision. I commend you on your desire to join the team. Remeber we all are on the same team, just wear different uniforms. Come on in, the waters fine! Just make sure you come in as an officer, they get paid more and don't get as dirty! #:-) Oh darn, my coffe cup rolled under my soap box! HTH
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 09:48 PM UTC
Chief, I realy did enjoy reading post. It's very personal and also very well written !

I did wonder for a time about entering the army. But having heard a bit about the ways of the french
army and knowing my attitude... well, it might not have fit. I did speak to quite a few people coming
out of the army before taking a decision. Some had had a great time, others weren't all that happy...
There's even one who had spent 3 months in prison to keep the politician
from a "friendly" country happy... He was disilusioned...
Knowing the way I am and my aspirations, I thought I'd be happier as a civilian,
working on the technical side, than as in the military using the stuff.
Well, you just have to choose your own way and make the best of it !
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 09:49 PM UTC
Thanks for the imput. You guys are great!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 10:09 PM UTC
Awall,
What service are you considering?
You have a lot of experience here replying to you. And you have a lot to think about.
One sugesstion I have, is maybe consider the Reserves or the Guard. when a young person ask me about the military and thinking about joining, I tell them, if they really want ot be in the militarytry the Guard or Reserves. Granted, its no way near the routine you would have in active duty, but you get a taste os the military life. Plus, you still get most of the benifits and still be a ble to stay home.
I, my self, served 6 years on active duty in the Army, and know I am finishing up my 5th year in the Guard. Im not going to lie, in the 11 years that I have been in, there has been times when it was no pick nic. The 2 years I was stationed at Ft. Benning, Georgia, I think i was in the field almost a year and a half of that, and I had one of those specialty jobs. But dont get me wrong, I loved every bit of it. I am proud to serve my country and i wouldnt trade those 11 years for nothing.
On the Guard note, for example, my state provides 100% tuition if you go to a state collage. Meaning, while you are int he Guard, you get a check for one weekend a mont, 2 wekks a year, and get to go to collage on the states ticket. What a deal. I now a few High school junior and seniors that are still in school and collecting a check from the state for being in the Guard. And if you like the military life, you can transfer to the active military with no problem.

Keep asking questions and I know all the guys here will be more than willing to answer them.
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 10:53 PM UTC
Chief -

SERE school is SUPPOSED to suck! Makes you want to avoid the real thing, vigorously!! :-)

BTW, I like (and appreciate) the 'team' comments. Too many folks in uniform forget that we are one team.

(For those who don't know: SERE...Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape...how to stay alive, get away, be a difficult POW if you can't get away, and how to get away again. Aircrews and special ops guys attend because they are at risk of getting caught behind enemy lines.)
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 11:24 PM UTC
I don't think I want to joing the Navy. I am not fond of water at all.
As for Airforce, or any type of aviation, what are the prerequisites? Does anyone have an idea? I would love to fly, but I am uncertain that I have high enough marks for it though. On the other hand, a part of me wants to get into the fray and be where the action is, primarily, to make a difference. But that is the case in any part of the service I get into.
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 11:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't think I want to joing the Navy. I am not fond of water at all.
As for Airforce, or any type of aviation, what are the prerequisites? Does anyone have an idea? I would love to fly, but I am uncertain that I have high enough marks for it though. On the other hand, a part of me wants to get into the fray and be where the action is, primarily, to make a difference. But that is the case in any part of the service I get into.

Forget the fly...go ride steel...much fun is had tanking