TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Saving Private Ryan
Shinano
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 02:15 AM UTC
I was wondering if anybody noticed this or is it just me. I was watching "Saving Private Ryan" and during the city battle sequence I thought the Tiger I tank had the chasis of a T34 and the super structure of a Tiger I . Do you think that they did this because their are no running Tigers or that they could not get one for the movie or was I just seeing things.

Thanks
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 02:18 AM UTC
I believe the used modified T-55s for the tigers.

SB
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 02:34 AM UTC
i think he is right on the T-34s. If you have the DVD with the extra's, it talks about what they used. The road wheels even have "Hub Caps" on them.
piwi
Visit this Community
Nord, France
entire network: 712 Posts
KitMaker Network: 150 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 04:12 AM UTC
Yes,
eneable to find 2 Tigers I , they used T34 modified !
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 04:31 AM UTC
Yep in SPR they used T34's and in Band of Brothers they used a T55.

Rick
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 06:12 AM UTC
Sorry I was thinking of a different 1:1 conversion I've seen on the net.
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 09:51 AM UTC
IIRC (and according to hbo's website) they used T-34s for the Tigers in BoB. (Again this info might be incorrect, due to the fact that they refer to them as "american tiger tanks", however they look suspiciously like T-34s to me) Quote from the another page regarding this information: "Stripped-down Russian T-34 tanks from the war era were rebuilt as American Tiger tanks, and modern Army Personnel Carriers (APCs) from the British military were the foundation for the German Panzer tanks. Each tank took about 12 weeks to complete, but the effort was well worth it, because building their own allowed "total freedom to blow them up" – something not possible with borrowed tanks. As with every other aspect of the production, authenticity was of utmost importance, and careful attention to detail ensured that these tanks were just like the originals." from this page: http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/bandofbrothers/blbbproduction.htm Not trying to prove a point, just trying to keep the info correct. Please do correct me if I am wrong.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 10:23 AM UTC
Thanks for the correction Jason. I new it was one of them movies. So it was in the extra DVD for "Band of Brothers" that I saw it in.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2005 - 06:10 AM UTC
Howdy All,

I just watched Band of Brothers again last night (can't tell you how many times I've watched this film) and have a question for those members who either know the German language, or understand it enough to tell me something.....

In the scene at the end during their stand in the town, when Upham (the typist) couldn't bring himself to get the .30 cal ammo over to the men above the cafe, when the German wrestles with the American and gets the upper hand with the bayonet.....what is he calmly saying to the American as he slowly slids the knive into his chest?
I'm curious, and hoping it was something soothing.......

Tread.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2005 - 06:51 AM UTC
I can't verify it because I know no German but I've read somewhere he was saying something like "it's better this way" or something along those lines. I always wanted to verify it myself.
Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 437 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2005 - 07:27 AM UTC
Tread,

(Of course you mean Saving Private Ryan.) I love that movie and have seen it many times also. That is one scene that I have trouble watching. I usually get up and get a beer during that one.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 09:07 AM UTC
Since there are only 1 or 2 Tigers 1's in running condition - the one at Bovington is a very early model - and REAL expensive to maintain the special effects guys on SPR and later BoB used stripped down T-34 chassis and built Tiger bodies. In BoB they also used ex-British army tracked vehicles to make the Stug and JadgPanther.

The Hanomags and Marder III's were real - I think?