_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modeling in the movies
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 343 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2004 - 06:07 AM UTC
A couple of months ago I found a cool book about sci-fi scale models used in movies and about some special effects...comes out I didnt buy the book at the time but now I started to get interested on analysing how they build their models. I think it's related to these first dioramas I'm building. First thing that crosses my mind are those sci-fi scenarios that one cant almost believe that they're just a couple of feet long Anyone knows some good sites about it?

thanx in advance
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2004 - 10:38 AM UTC

Star War's rebel cruiser was made out of a kitbash of different plastic models, miniature boat hulls, a B-29 fuselage, and small scale aircraft carriers. the basic shape was made and then the detail was added
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2004 - 12:17 PM UTC
4-5 years ago, a guy from Western Mass who did work on these movies did a slide presentation for my club, What he and his workhop crrew would do is to raid the local hobby stores for kits, didn't matter what. Take them back to the workshop and kitbash away within the requirements of the studio and come up with a model of a ship that fit the bill. They added the initials of the two prime investors into the details of one of thier creations.
Sadly, with CGI, this art will fall into disuse.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2004 - 08:56 PM UTC
I agree with your sentiments Al. I always thought it was neat to see bits and pieces of other models in sci-fi kits. I know that in one of my SF3D kits, there are items like the Tamiya SAS Jeep Vickers ammo drums included as detail parts.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2004 - 09:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree with your sentiments Al. I always thought it was neat to see bits and pieces of other models in sci-fi kits. I know that in one of my SF3D kits, there are items like the Tamiya SAS Jeep Vickers ammo drums included as detail parts.

Rob,
I've loved the 'scavenger hunt' for regodnizable parts in the SF3D stuff too..
The OH6 fuselage for the Heinrich suit torso, Cylon raider hull for the Fliege and Fledermaus, all the T62 parts in both of them as well.
The FLIR/TOW sight? from the Hasegawa MD500 Defenders, Tamiya 35mm camera from the racecar crew set as a gun muzzle.

Kow has a walk in closet, FULL of kits to pull parts from all over.

I've got pics from model Gragix March 2001 of Kow's stash and some of the design/build process but I can't get them uploaded this morning and am having trouble getting the file size down to a managable level. Drop me a pm if you'd like to see the process (Japanese captions, sorry) start to finish.

check back.

At least as much fun as finding parts on the Millenium Falcon. All those Panther engine deck fittings and random landing gear components.

Mike
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 343 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 01:08 AM UTC
what about any sites with some pictures and info about models in movies?do you guys know any?
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 07:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

what about any sites with some pictures and info about models in movies?do you guys know any?

Sorry, no I don't
I went off on a tangent with the SF3D stuff.

Back on topic, The old "Art of Star Wars", Art of Empire and Art of Jedi books had some things in them about the studio models.

Mike

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 09:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Visit http://www.starshipmodeler.com. That place is a good starting point for someone looking for sci-fi info. Go to the section labeled "Hardware References".
 _GOTOTOP