_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kaki Model Malaysia
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
rotary tool
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:14 PM UTC
hi there malaysian modellers again...

do any of u have a rotary tool??

i guess beachbum the master scratchbuilder have one, am i right??

what brand do u have ??

I knew most of the US modellers use Dremel as their magic tools. Unfortunately, dremel in malaysia are too luxurios for me. I have seen one in Farnell catalogue..their are about RM400 above...fuhhh...
i still remember last year while i'm in butterworth, i bump into an old hardware stop...the shop is so old...made of kayu....so i went into..( i love to have an eye at any hardware shop)..after 10 minutes, i found a dremel set...the box was faded...the price tag also...the tauke said the price is RM450...this is too much for me...

then i come across a few rotary tools..they're all expensive...
until i saw one from black n decker....they're only RM 299 ..the cheapest so far..any of u have this?? is they good??

i knew not much of our local hardware/machine shop sell this model...

i'm planning to buy this one...do u have any comment?>

thanks

Shahrid
Visit this Community
Damansara, Malaysia
entire network: 116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 11:58 PM UTC
What do you mean by rotary tool ? Is it like a drill?
floogen
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 108 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2004 - 04:05 PM UTC
Go to Pudu, and enter any of the Electronic shops there. They have the mini hand held drills for about RM50 Made in China..comes in a nice box, with a few drill heads.

I got mine there a few years ago..it's been indespensable to me ever since then..

Rgds
Alan
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2004 - 04:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Go to Pudu, and enter any of the Electronic shops there. They have the mini hand held drills for about RM50 Made in China..comes in a nice box, with a few drill heads.

I got mine there a few years ago..it's been indespensable to me ever since then..

Rgds
Alan

Alan,
u mean the one in the red plastic box aahh??
yesterday i went to pasar pudu to find some electrical stuff...i bumped into one ...it's RM 50 ..

that stuff is only single speed..i'm looking for the one with variable speed... i may use it for multiple tasking job..hehe not meant for modelling only...

so how was the RM50 thing?? it's ok aahh??

floogen
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2004 - 05:42 PM UTC
Yep that's the one! So far, very good (for me)

It IS single speed, I got myself an adapter with various voltage settings, and with that, I vary the speed of the drill to suit a particular task

Alan
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yep that's the one! So far, very good (for me)

It IS single speed, I got myself an adapter with various voltage settings, and with that, I vary the speed of the drill to suit a particular task

Alan

Alan..

i also think of connecting it with some kind of voltage adapter/regulator...

so, that rotary tools, do u have any idea what is its rpm ?? (standard version)

thanks
floogen
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 01:21 AM UTC
Sorry, I have no idea of the RPM
But it's good enough drill thru plastic..

Rgds
Alan
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 - 10:24 AM UTC
Hi Gentlemen,

How are things? Been away about a week for holidays. How I wish it was longer. Silantra I do have a drill tool like Alan's. In fact it was Alan who recommended it. The rpm is about 10,000 rpm. Dremel is about 6,000 rpm if I"m not mistaken.

Why do you need to vary the speed, kawan? If you need to have a different speed I understand the Black & Decker and Bosch electric screwdivers move on a slower rpm. With a bit of modification they can be used for drilling "soft" materials.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 - 01:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gentlemen,

How are things? Been away about a week for holidays. How I wish it was longer. Silantra I do have a drill tool like Alan's. In fact it was Alan who recommended it. The rpm is about 10,000 rpm. Dremel is about 6,000 rpm if I"m not mistaken.

Why do you need to vary the speed, kawan? If you need to have a different speed I understand the Black & Decker and Bosch electric screwdivers move on a slower rpm. With a bit of modification they can be used for drilling "soft" materials.

Hi There BEacebum...long time no seee...
holiday ahh??

about the rotarry tool...i need the variable speed setting so that i can work with plastic, wood (other hobby) and soft metal...
i got lot's of thing to do with just one tool..

beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:11 PM UTC
I maybe wrong but its more of the type of drill bit rather than the speed that's important. As you know the drill bit for kayu is different from besi. The one you get if you buy the Taiwanese drill has general screw bits which you can use on plastic and plaster but kurang bagus for kayu.

As Alan said the Drill we both bought from Pudu is good for plastic and I find it okay for kayu. Tak payah beli Dremel-lah, bagus tapi super super mahal.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 - 04:41 PM UTC
that's true..

but i not going to do drilling only...fot that i have a few drill machine ade hand held drill...

i'm doing some complex job ..not just drilling ..i dont know how to explain..hehehe

anyway thanks...

maybe i bought the one at pasar pudu....

the black n decker one is expensive consider my economical season...

nak beli DREMEL ?? maybe if i'm a profesional modeller....not now...hehe
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 - 05:13 PM UTC
You nak buat sanding & polishing ke? With the right attachments you can do a fair bit of work with the cheap "Pudu" drill. Just minta the used bits from your dentist or the shop which sells it also sells a lot of strange attachments.

Recently my Home Ministry aka Bini bought the little Bosch rechargeable electric screwdriver. Lucky she's into Power tools (hehheh). It costs about RM 150 but it comes with a small drill bit for minor drilling and I noticed the rpm are slow because its suppose to be a screwdriver. I might experiment with it for fine sanding work later. I will let you know how it works.

Sudah finally settle in to the new house-kah?
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 02:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You nak buat sanding & polishing ke? With the right attachments you can do a fair bit of work with the cheap "Pudu" drill. Just minta the used bits from your dentist or the shop which sells it also sells a lot of strange attachments.

Recently my Home Ministry aka Bini bought the little Bosch rechargeable electric screwdriver. Lucky she's into Power tools (hehheh). It costs about RM 150 but it comes with a small drill bit for minor drilling and I noticed the rpm are slow because its suppose to be a screwdriver. I might experiment with it for fine sanding work later. I will let you know how it works.

Sudah finally settle in to the new house-kah?

at last i bought the cheap pudu tools...
where do u find/buy the strange attachment???

i still on the moving process..yup i'm slow...but the new house wasnt yet ready for me...
probably i will give my self a week or two to completed move...

where's everbody??
 _GOTOTOP