History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
History Majors
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 63 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 09:27 PM UTC
What can one do with a History major besides law and teaching? does anyone insight on the subject? Thanks if you do.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 09:54 PM UTC
That's why I became an engineer...
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 10:34 PM UTC
You can make that kind of point for just about any liberal arts degree.

I went to a school with a big business program. The running joke was -
What does an English major say to a finance major?
"Would you like fries with that, sir?" #:-)
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 10:53 PM UTC
Some of my friends invested a lot of time and effort in some difficult studies.
They were successful in these complicated studies which is already an achievment by itself.
But then, it was so difficult to find a job that some had to revert to something completely
different ! I know geologists who now develop software in the car industry, some became teachers for
young children !
When they were lucky enough to find a job in their field of interest, it was extremly poorly paid...
But some are still very happy that way !
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 10:58 PM UTC
Yeah, I've heard of people in an occupation much different than the one they earned. So, what is the point of a degree if you don't use it? Is it just to tell the employer that you can think and that you have higher education?
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 11:16 PM UTC
Well Awall, the importance of a degree differs from a country to another...
In France, your pay sometimes depends more on your degree than on what you can actualy do...
And that can become rather annoying when you know that you're doing a better job than
that other guy...
Some people study hard to get a degree simply because they think they'll be successful with it.
It's the matter they are interested in. After trying unsuccessfuly to find a job for some time, they just
go to something else.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 11:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Err...in todays world that would be:

What did the pre-Law English major say to the Finance major:

"On December 12th, 2000 did you not use improper accounting practices to show that your companies debts were not as great as they actually were?"

:)

Jim
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 12:21 AM UTC
As a Fine Arts major, we were tought the 'six magic words' that would always allow us to find gainfull employment;

"Do you want fries with that?"

Maybe the same could be applied to History majors as well...

Steve
Awall
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 12:38 AM UTC
So, from what you guys say, it would be hard for a history major to find a decent paying job?
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 12:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Err...in todays world that would be:

What did the pre-Law English major say to the Finance major:

"On December 12th, 2000 did you not use improper accounting practices to show that your companies debts were not as great as they actually were?"

:)

Jim

(in my best New York accent): "NIIICE!!!"
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
entire network: 793 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 12:47 AM UTC
The subject isn'r really the point. Education is in and of itself a key to the future. It's not about what you learn, but how you learn. While a degree doesn't say much about anything in and of itself, it'sa good and important springboard to other opportunities. You meet important and influential people along the road of education, who, may or maynot be a tool to you in the future. If you like history, and feel that you can excell in that field, by all means charge headforth. Just do your best and give your most, and you shall inevitably come out ahead. Learn for the joy of learning the thrill of knowledge, not for simple pecuniary advantage. Knowledge is the highest gift, the thing that separates man and beast. Drink, fill the empty cup from the never ending fount of true knowledge.

Nuff said, don't want people thinking I'm farting higher tan my weensy IQ

Jack
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 498 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 12:57 AM UTC
With a History Degree, you could be an Intelligence Officer in the U.S. Navy. Also try museum curator too!
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 02:58 AM UTC

All kidding aside, you may want to think about continuing your education. If you want to teach, you need at least a Masters. For a histroy prof, a Phd is probably a prerequisite.

Don't think it's too late to think about other studies too.

As mentioned earlier, its your EDUCATION that's important. Being able to think and solve problems matters, not that your degree is in something people consider "sell-able."

I spent almost 8 years just as an undergrad and have two undergrad degrees. I loved school and still do. That's why I choose to teach.

Remember, most people don't end up doing exactly what they went to school for. Life is a journey that may take many paths. The key is enjoying the trip!

If you truely love history, you will be able to find an occupation that suits you. If it's just one of many interests and not your passion, don't be afraid to look elsewhere.

You will always have that degree. It can't be taken away. I think you'll find you're very fortunate and there are lots of people who will never be able to acheive what you did. You should be proud!

There are lots of new opportunities being created. Be imaginative in your search for a career.

Steve

Awall
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 03:11 AM UTC
Actually I do intend on continuing my education. I want another undergrad then we will see about a masters. But I want to find some one who will compensate me for education. If the military is the only thing I can find that will do it, I will do it. If I can raise my GPA then maybe I won't get a second degree and just fling myself into my masters. I have a lot of avenues to take... just not a lot of time to make a decision. Thanks all! :-)
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 04:37 AM UTC
Got my bachelors in History from Oregon State (GO BEAVS!) and a Master of Arts in Teaching from Lewis and Clark College in Portland. Don't use either one in my job. And that's OK. My history education never stops; I'm always researching something of interest or something for a model. As for teaching, I do it informally. My contributions here (sadly fewer of late) could be construed as such, the giving of my knowledge that others might benefit. I also serve as a driving skills instructor for a national car club and my teaching skills find an outlet there. Captain Jack has it right: the education is its own reward, not just a conduit for career choice. None of the jobs I've had in the seventeen years since college has been directly related to my studies. I never intended it to be that way, really. Don't lock youself into the mindset that you must select a course of study only for the potential commercial applications it might have.

Greg